Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Babyquilt Fabric Choices >
  • Babyquilt Fabric Choices

• Babyquilt Fabric Choices

Old 02-09-2024, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by bkay
    I was at JoAnn's last week for baby quilt backing. I found the perfect color in flannel. However, the last time I bought flannel there, it "pilled" badly. In fact, it was "knobby" after 2 washes to shrink it. I asked about the my previous experience, and the sales person said they didn't have "no pill" flannel.

When I gave up on flannel, I found the perfect yellow on the sale rack. I believe it was a batik, but it didn't say so on the bolt. It was really soft, like lawn or batiste.

bkay
    JoAnn's always seemed like kind of a mixed bag on fabric. They'd have some good lines and some bad ones, but in the last few years the bad seems to have increased. Glad you found something that worked. It often means shopping online, but Robert Kaufman and Moda have always been pretty reliable for quality flannels in my experience.
    Old 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM

I sometimes use a soft fleece for the backing. It doesn't need a center batting when you use fleece for the backing. Use a good quality fleece as that will make the quilt very soft.