Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Back to basics, needles and thimbles >
  • Back to basics, needles and thimbles

• Back to basics, needles and thimbles

Old 02-20-2012, 05:08 AM
    KR

Finger Cots really help get a grip on the needle.....I put one on my index finger. Found them at the drugstore in the bandages section.
    Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Also, what batting are you using? Some batting is worse for handquilting than others...
    Bernie, I just purchased warm and natural batting for the first time. I think my problem is the large eye needle--at least that seems to be the consensus.
    Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by scraphq
    I'm long time handquilter, too. I find that not everything works the same every day. Some days I change thimbles several times until I get comfortable with one. Also, change needles to suit me. One thing I would not do is rough up needles with emery cloth. A rough needle will be even more difficult to push through the layers. Hang in there, you'll find something you are comfortable with.
    Thanks for what might just be the perfect answer. Variety is the spice of life.

Just to explain, normally I wouldn't take an emery cloth to a needle, but the one thing I've noticed about warm and natural batting is that the needle can get stuck in it while traveling to another quilting location. At one point, between a seam and the batting, I got it really stuck. I pushed the point too hard with my thimble causing a little nib on the needle point. I'm pretty frugal, and didn't want to waste a needle, not to mention the thread, so I simply sanded off the nub with the emery cloth. I poked it several times into the little strawberry part of my pin cushion, which made it nice and sharp, so I kept on using it. I know this is not a normal practice, but it did the trick. I noticed the shank of the needle was a little rougher too, which made it a little easier to pull too.
    Old 02-20-2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by gailinva
    I didn't have sucess with the large eyed needles. I quilt with Clover betweens size 10...use a needle threader if you need to. I graduated years ago from the leather thimble (after a few pokes) to a metal one, I prefer John James. Everyone has their ideas, just try different ones until you are happy!!!! Keep stitchin'!!!!!
    Thanks for your comment. Oh, I will keep stitchin. I have a long way to go and rarely leave something I've started unfinished. I'm weird that way. Besides I love it. I'm thinking I need a #10 needle. That is what I used previously and it felt better.
    Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by joyplace
    I use the Roxanne #9 Between needles from Keepsake Quilting. I have been quilting for over 4 years, tried many needles, but these are the best.......I have 3-4 stitches on the needle each time. Works for me really well.....Also if I need to pull the needle with something which is very seldom, I have the little blue "needle pullers" from Joann's. I think you get 3-5 in a pack. Some great suggestions on the board. Maybe one of them will help you.

Happy Quilting.
    Thanks for your answer. You're right, there are some great suggestions here. I'm anxious to do a little online shopping.
    Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 AM

I use bees wax on my thread. Makes it slide better and the thread has more body so it's easier to thread a needle. For pulling the needle through I use the rubber fingers sold at office supply stores.
    Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 AM
    Power Poster

Just want to mention that Warm and Natural is not the best batting for hand quilting. It is needlepunched through scrim, and the scrim adds an extra layer for the needle to push through. A batting such as Hobbs 80/20 would be much easier to hand needle.
    Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    You've already gotten some great advice here but I'll piggyback on a couple. I, too, use Roxanne needles usually #11 or #12. You definitely need the Roxanne threaders if you're going to use the #12's as other wired needle threaders are too thick to get through the eye. I will bend one every once in a while but not too often. I agree that the issue seems to be the large eye needle. I hated those things! I also use a (now) metal ThimbleLady thimble on my pushing (middle) finger. They have much deeper dimples than most thimbles and the open end makes them, for me, quite comfortable to wear. I would destroy the leather thimbles doing cross-stitch so can you imagine quilting???? ThimbleLady has plastic versions and a very good measuring explanation if you want to try them. I started with that to see if I liked them. Then upgraded to the stainless steel version. Still quite affordable compared to some. Hoop/frame tension might be an issue for you as well. Looser equals better. I use the rubber finger tips found in office supply stores on my index finger for pulling. This way I'm not stopping to pick up/put down all the time. It does help quite a bit but occassionally still need to use needle nose pliers. They are a godsend.
    Thanks for your comments. I have actually been to Liuxin Newman's website. I think she is the most phenomenal hand quilter ever. Her work is so stunning. While I was writing this original post I had wondered if anyone would mention these thimbles. I'm glad you did. There's no way I can afford one of them, but might consider a plastic version. This will certainly be on my wish list.

I continue to learn as I go, and already learned about hoop tension. I admit I do have concerns about the leather thimbles. I'd hate to push through it into my finger. That would really hurt. I wonder if anyone has done that. Little needle pricks are one thing, but stabbing myself with force is quite another. Ouch! I also can't imagine having to stop and start with a needle-pulling device, though there are times that would really help.
    Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by KR
    Finger Cots really help get a grip on the needle.....I put one on my index finger. Found them at the drugstore in the bandages section.
    Thanks Karen. Actually, my retired mailman husband actually mentioned that.
    Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
    I use bees wax on my thread. Makes it slide better and the thread has more body so it's easier to thread a needle. For pulling the needle through I use the rubber fingers sold at office supply stores.
    Love your name Quilt-Till-U-Wilt...I actually bought some bees wax--actually when I bought these rotten needles. ;-) Looks like a trip to Staples for me. I need rubber fingers.