Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Back to Sewing >
  • Back to Sewing

• Back to Sewing

Old 01-24-2022, 03:32 PM

Default Back to Sewing

I found my interest in quilting on a visit to the US....that's when I found and joined this group. It's been a long lull since then. Went back to work and life took over. Now I am back in Canada, and my interest has sparked again.
    Enthusiastically made this Table runner....and I am truly humbled by the amount of work that goes into piecing!
    I ironed, measured, cut, sewed, squared Yet I can see imperfections.
    I have lost some of the Star leg points. though I did have scant 1/4th" margins.

What should I do to avoid losing the points in future?
    Also , This is the 1st time I have used batting. Q. Do I have to use another sewing Foot when stitching through Batting or is the regular foot good enough?
    Would be grateful for any advice or suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails 20220124_171756.jpg   20220124_172021.jpg  

Last edited by Honey58; 01-24-2022 at 03:39 PM. Reason: attachments did not get posted
    Old 01-24-2022, 03:58 PM

Welcome to the forum. Your work is very sharp and detailed and beautiful. Don't fret over it but enjoy your own work. You did very well. points will come in time. If you have been careful with your measurements and cutting and 1/4 inch seams, things will begin to fall in place with practice. So far, so good.
    Old 01-24-2022, 04:32 PM
    Power Poster

Pay attention to the direction you are pressing the star points. Yes it does make a difference which way the seams are pressed. Usually, the pattern will show little arrows to press in in that direction. Make sure you press, not scrub iron while pressing. That can distort the seam because it is on the diagonal it is bias. Bias is very easy to press out of shape. You see?
    Old 01-24-2022, 05:51 PM
    Power Poster

Lovely runner! Cut and sew as accurately as you can and you will get better the more time you invest in quilting. In the meantime, enjoy the process . You can quilt using your regular foot but a walking foot does make it easier. If you are stitching in the ditch on your runner, lengthen the stitch length a bit and quilt from the middle out. Starting to quilt in the centre and working to the edge helps to move any extra fabric out to the edge so you don’t get wrinkles in the back.
    Old 01-24-2022, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    Pay attention to the direction you are pressing the star points. Yes it does make a difference which way the seams are pressed. Usually, the pattern will show little arrows to press in in that direction. Make sure you press, not scrub iron while pressing. That can distort the seam because it is on the diagonal it is bias. Bias is very easy to press out of shape. You see?
    That's helpful. Thank you. Will keep it in mind and will be careful when ironing
    Old 01-24-2022, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Lovely runner! Cut and sew as accurately as you can and you will get better the more time you invest in quilting. In the meantime, enjoy the process . You can quilt using your regular foot but a walking foot does make it easier. If you are stitching in the ditch on your runner, lengthen the stitch length a bit and quilt from the middle out. Starting to quilt in the centre and working to the edge helps to move any extra fabric out to the edge so you don’t get wrinkles in the back.
    Thank you. will see some tutorials to get familiar and understand the "walking foot" I have read about. So much to learn !
    It's quite exciting for me .
    Old 01-24-2022, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44
    Welcome to the forum. Your work is very sharp and detailed and beautiful. Don't fret over it but enjoy your own work. You did very well. points will come in time. If you have been careful with your measurements and cutting and 1/4 inch seams, things will begin to fall in place with practice. So far, so good.
    Thank you; will persevere with the star point.
    Old 01-24-2022, 10:43 PM

That's a great execution for a short time quilter. My quilting group meets together to sew and we help each other on learning.
    Old 01-25-2022, 02:57 AM
    Gay

Love your table runner. Just a thought, but could your scant seams be too scant? Perhaps if you made them the full 1/4" you would have enough room on the ends of the star points so they will not be cut off.
    Old 01-25-2022, 03:14 AM

Starch is your friend, especially when sewing cross grain. I buy regular corn starch, make my own. This will help stiffen your fabric and you'll see much straighter blocks. As others stated, ac walking foot, to me, is a must when machine quilting.