Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Background color >
  • Background color

• Background color

Old 08-30-2023, 07:12 PM

Our print machine has a copy setting that can be black/white. That’s a grey scale.
    The picture is a med value contrast. Since she likes it, I’d use it for choosing colors use either the lightest or darkest color for background. Then choose the squares from the colors in the fabric, picking the values a little further away than in the fabric.

Example; say a rose background a little darker than the darkest rose in the fabric. Then use pink, light blue, light green, light grey and prints of those colors for squares.
    Old 08-31-2023, 05:22 AM

I made one of these with a grey-blue print for the beads and the background is white with silver sparkles. At first I was concerned that it was too close in contrast. I love it! Very restful. Not every quilt needs to pop with color. Some interest can be added such as white on white or a print with the focus color in it. Just saying, I wouldn't use solids.
    Are you saying you want to use the fabric in the picture as the beads or is it an example of the colors she likes?
    Simply place the 2 pieces of fabric she is requesting together and see how they work. How does a soft/buttery ecru work with her pink?

Last edited by illinois; 08-31-2023 at 05:26 AM.
    Old 09-01-2023, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by illinois
    I made one of these with a grey-blue print for the beads and the background is white with silver sparkles. At first I was concerned that it was too close in contrast. I love it! Very restful. Not every quilt needs to pop with color. Some interest can be added such as white on white or a print with the focus color in it. Just saying, I wouldn't use solids.
    Are you saying you want to use the fabric in the picture as the beads or is it an example of the colors she likes?
    Simply place the 2 pieces of fabric she is requesting together and see how they work. How does a soft/buttery ecru work with her pink?

The fabric I showed is just colors she liked. However, I believe she just wants light pinks and whites, no other color. You are right, too by saying not ever quilt has to pop with color. The more I think about it, that’s why we make what WE like. If we are happy with it why burst anyone else’s bubble. If she likes those colors she should just make it. Everyone’s likes are not the same thank goodness but we live with what we like. While I do like the pinks and white , I have to throw in a ‘pop’-lol she knows I like bright colors and fall colors. I say it’s because I can see them better with old eyes.-lol
    By the way, she hasn’t bought any fabric yet. When I asked about it she said she may just talk herself out of making one. I hope not. I hope any suggestions I made(and she did ask what I thought) didn’t discourage her. I do want to encourage her and sometimes we make it seem harder when we overthink. I will keep you up on it or better yet, get her to join the board. She has made several baby quilts and also a few bigger bed quilts. Thank you all for your comments.