Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • backing fabric >
  • backing fabric

• backing fabric

Old 10-29-2014, 03:46 PM

I prefer to use the wide backings, if possible. Check out marshalldrygoods, carolinacottoncompany, and backsidefabrics--their prices are very reasonable. I agree with felinefanatic that it is cheaper in the long run (and much less time-consuming) to use the wide fabrics.
    Old 10-31-2014, 04:04 AM

If I have enough left over material I piece the backing. I really love pieced backings. Next I go to my stash to see if I have something that will work. I don't always use a coordinating material. Sometimes I like a surprise when the quilt is turned over.
    Old 10-31-2014, 04:26 AM
    dd

I made a Christmas quilt for my sister and pieced the back. Now I'm second guessing because I think it looks like I was too cheap to buy backing fabric. I used left over fabric, left over blocks and embroidered the label right onto the back. I did have enough to make the binding all red. I love the pieced bindings but didn't want to piece both backing and binding. Hope she likes it.
    Old 10-31-2014, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    ​I prefer wide backing as you don't have to worry about the seams being straight. I will go for the colour I want over no seam though.
    Me too, though I always seem to gravitate to a fabric used on the quilt top, and piece if necessary. On my Mom's birthday quilt I had to use every last scrap to make it wide enough for the long armer. I thought it came out cute though, as the front was all churn dash blocks.

Attached Thumbnails finished-churn-dash-backing-gma-fast.jpg  
    Old 10-31-2014, 06:32 AM

I prefer a pieced backing. It makes the quilt reversible. Two for one.
    Old 10-31-2014, 06:32 AM

I use which ever one goes with the top I made. The last thing I would ever think about is, was I too cheap to_______ (fill in the blank)!
    Old 10-31-2014, 06:33 AM

I too like the backing fabrics but if I can't find just the "RIGHT ONE" to go with the quilt plus if I have a lot of scraps or block sections leftover I'll piece the backing. I hate to have leftovers and with the price of fabrics these days can't waste them. I find the pieced backings give character to the quilt on both sides.

Also I found a really nice backing fabric in a sateen at my local fabric shop. Don't know how many colors it comes in but I know white, beige and blacks. I find buying backing fabrics are most times cheaper than regular fabrics if you consider you're getting 3+ yards across for the price per yard down. The sateen has a nice sheen to it and drapes beautifully. Just made a quilt using all my black scraps from the sateen. Liked it so well I went back and bought more along with their white.
    Old 10-31-2014, 07:03 AM

I have always used wide backing fabric not muslin, usually I buy Kona or the pretty backing fabrics. However, if I'm making the quilt for a child or someone who likes scrappy then that's the backing they get. I was taught never to use sheets but now that is acceptable.
    Old 10-31-2014, 07:17 AM

I like the wide backs. I usually buy them thru Marshall's Dry Goods. Good prices between $7.99 and $8.99 per yard only draw back is you have to buy in yard increments.
    Old 10-31-2014, 09:48 AM

I get wide backing on sale. If you multiply the yardage needed on the 44" fabric (usually need like7 yards) vs the 108" wide (3-1/2 or 4 at most) I find the cost is comparable. Wider is easier!!