Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Backing for a quilt !! question >
  • Backing for a quilt !! question

• Backing for a quilt !! question

Old 02-12-2012, 02:11 PM

Default Backing for a quilt !! question

I am doing a quilt for some one and they told me to just do a plain back on the quilt.... it is for king, wants to keep cost down, imagine that.. should i bye muslin and piece it or get a material from the LQS and piece it.. either way i have to piece it because of size... what should I do on this?
    Old 02-12-2012, 02:15 PM

Well, if their main objective is to keep the cost down and if they want plain, then I would say to go for the muslin. But, on the other hand, maybe the LQS has a fabric you could use that is on sale!
    Old 02-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Well it is a king size and it is going to be machine quilted out and hand binded and it is at 550.. and she is fine with the cost of it. so for a king size the rule of thumb is how many yards??
    Old 02-12-2012, 02:28 PM

I measure thru the middle longwise I take that measurement and add 8 inches...I was taught to have 4inches sticking out on each side of batting and backing for shifts...others may have a different way. Then multiple that by 2 or 3 depending on the width of the fabric your using the make it wide enough. Hope I was easy to follow. This is my way. Happy Quilting!!
    Old 02-12-2012, 02:47 PM
    Power Poster

You can also find lots of wide fabrics that would be pretty, would eliminate the need for piecing, and might be just as economical.
    Old 02-12-2012, 02:50 PM

Why not try Marshall's dry goods.
    http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/

I just bought some 108 fabric for $7.99 . It was the same as what I could have gotten in the stores for $12-13 or more.
    I bought a green floral print for mine but they have some others there too. I like it . I got 3 yards and although the shipping added a bit to it. I saw the same in a shop here for 13.99 . So I figured I saved a little bit and I don't have to piece it.
    Old 02-12-2012, 03:32 PM

If its going to be machine quilted , you may be able to find a flat sheet at a discount store. My Ikea has very nice sheets for very reasonable.
    Old 02-12-2012, 04:07 PM
    Power Poster

you can purchase wide backing fabrics- including muslins which are available in 108"- up to 120" wide- shop around- fabric.com has quite a good selection of wide backing fabrics, muslins, flannels, batiks- in various price ranges- you would only need 3-3 1/2 yards of a wide backing- which really saves $$
    Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Both Hobby Lobby and Jo Ann's carry material that is 108" wide and it comes in a variety of colors and patterns. Also if it is on sale or use your 40% off coupon (you can sometimes get that at their website), you can get it for between $8.00 and $10.00 per yard and you only need 3 1/2 yards when it is that wide. Check it out.
    Old 02-12-2012, 04:34 PM

There are two possible problems here. One is that muslims come in different thread counts per square inch. If you get the really cheap flimsy fabric, it will be a disappointment on a quilt. I have no problem with the right kind of sheets on my longarm to quilt it -- but if you're going to have it quilted by a longarmer, contact them BEFORE you purchase the backing. They may NOT be willing to quilt it on a sheet. I just got a customer with 4 quilts --- she wanted sheets for her own reasons and she was turned down by a number of quilters. I see no problems with it and told her what type to get (no jersey sheets -- it stretches too much). Also, different longarmers require different amounts of fabric beyond the size of the top. Some say 4 inches extra on all sides, others say more.
    If you piece the backing ----- use 1/2" seams and press them open ---- it lays flatter and nicer