Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • bad news and good news >
  • bad news and good news

• bad news and good news

Old 11-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Have plenty of fabrics, just not enough time to quilt. I still buy too much fabric when I get the chance. We're getting a Hobby Lobby next year. Will probably need some fabrics by then and hope they aren't priced out of this world.
    Old 11-16-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nolee
    Originally Posted by yonnikka
    Try sources online such as The Cotton Loft, QuiltFabricCloseouts.com, and eQuilter, under the Clearance Sections. Another one is FabricBlowout.com . I found it a healthy and heart-healing activity to Give Away fabrics, such as Red, white and Blue for quilters sewing for QuiltsofValor. Saying goodbye to fabrics means it is okay to let go of things we love, that others may benefit faster than if I hold on tight.
    I have made Quilts of Valor for about 3 years now. No one has ever donated fabric to me, but the caring of that group is wonderful. I was able to present two of my quilts personally and am now working on one for a young man coming home from his second tour in Iraq and on his way to Afghanistan after Christmas. This is a work I will never abandon.
    Supply an address and I will send a box!! Write a letter or e-mail to all the major quilt fabric companies. I bet you will get tons of fabric. My guild got enough from batiks from Kaufmann to make several.
    Old 11-16-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by mrsjdt
    That's me...hubby says my collection needs to cease it's expansion
    Does an archiologist (sp?) stop looking for artifacts or a museum director stop accepting donations? Of course not. We are but a small part of quilt history and must, at all time, keep the quest going.
    Old 11-16-2010, 06:38 PM

I was at our walmart in Mt Vernon today and there was a pile of fabric priced $2. and $2.50 a yd. on the wall I found some really nice patterns for less than $4.00 a yard
    needless to say I added to my stash. couldn't resist the reds. sigh.....
    Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 PM

I noticed fat quarters have went up .50 or more at Joann's Fabric. I use to get most of them for 1.00 or 1.49 not any more. Trish
    Old 11-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain
    The owner of our local quilt shop says that the price of our quilting cottons is soon to go up. Good news is that I am well supplied and can make it without having to purchase more. :) :) :)
    Started out as a quilter and now consider myself a collector of fine fabrics. Anyone else like that?
    Count me in.

Noted on the national news within the last week that due to the floods in India, the cotton crops were ruined so, up goes the price of cotton. I am eagerly waiting the day when bamboo fiber blends are more available. I have seen some of their fabric and it feels wonderful, but there is still a lot of work to go in that area. Someday.......
    Old 11-17-2010, 02:45 AM

I can't seem to get any of my children interested in making quilts. (But they all want one.) My grandchildren are still too young. Someone will hit the jackpot form my sewing room. I just hope they remember the charities that I've donated too and give it to them. Morbid I know but a fact of life. Till then I keep on hunting. My mother (81) has me looking for pillow blocks. Is anyone else have a hard time finding them any more? Even yard sale and church fairs have few if any.
    Old 11-17-2010, 07:05 AM
    Bev

quote/] My mother (81) has me looking for pillow blocks. Is anyone else have a hard time finding them? quote/]

If you mean the foam type forms, yes Joann's had plenty last time I checked. I use them from time to time to make small pillows for my grandkids.
    Old 11-17-2010, 01:20 PM

Looking for the material print, 2 to 4 panels per yd. to make the pillow. Her stash is very very low. I have been putting pieces together to make panels but running out of ideas.
    Old 11-17-2010, 02:43 PM
    Bev

Originally Posted by Debbie V
    Looking for the material print, 2 to 4 panels per yd. to make the pillow. Her stash is very very low. I have been putting pieces together to make panels but running out of ideas.
    Oh, now I get it. I used to have a couple of those. Never used them. Let me look through my stash and see if I still have them. I may have given them to one of our guild trash & treasures sale.
    Will let you know. 8-)