Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bad quilt shop experiences >
  • Bad quilt shop experiences

• Bad quilt shop experiences

Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 AM

Good for you. How rude to not return his greeting. I have an autistic grand child who quilts along with me, most people are very kind to her. Of course there are those who just don't have the time to be polite. So sorry for them should some of their family have a special needs person. God will remember those who are so rude to these special children.
    Old 01-16-2010, 11:07 AM

I am lucky that most people in stores would tell him hi back. It's only a few stores like that quilt store and the Hancocks in town. At Joann's they are very nice to him.
    Old 01-16-2010, 11:21 AM
    Power Poster

LOL ... I am so bad! I have just read through all of your comments about the bad experiances that you have had and I thought to myself," This thread link should be sent to them so they can hear how bad they stack up on the customer service end of things." I am not suggesting it, but, I wonder how many stores would make even one change to stay in business?

My son had a t shirt that on the back of it, it read ... I am the customer stupid!
    Old 01-16-2010, 11:32 AM

I went to a LQS that I have been to before. They have moved 4 times expanding as they go. This time I walked in and they had all this fabric in the middle which I thought was sale fabric - asked and was told NO! They were to busy to respond to my comments about the move, the fabric, the fact they have a la quilt machine that interested me. I bought a bit, but that is my last trip. I shop at Fabric Shack in Waynesville and it's hard to compete agsainst them - great selection and wonderful people.
    Judi in Ohio
    Old 01-16-2010, 03:53 PM

Dear MadQuilter,
    Any doubt WHY she is no longer in the business. She has no imagination or TASTE.
    Your quilt is beautiful!
    Old 01-16-2010, 04:05 PM

I do not have a bad story so far... lol but being a younger quilt both in age and skill I have gotten a few funny "what you doing in here" stares. Luckily where we moved there is a quilt shop right across the street (literally) and the ladies are FABULOUS. I havent tried the classes yet, but am extremely anxious. They are friendly and helpful and make you feel welcome and like they are genuinely glad to have you there to talk even if you dont buy anything (which is rare for me LOL)!!! :)
    Old 01-16-2010, 04:13 PM

Your quilt is beautiful. The fabrics work very well together. I can't believe any quilt maker would say such things. Even if she wasn't impressed with your choices she should have been diplomatic enough to say these are fabrics I would not have thought to put together. I'd like to see the quilt when it is done. I often find that my friends choose fabrics that I would never think to put together but I love the results when I see the finished quilts.
    Old 01-16-2010, 04:37 PM

quiltwoman-
    Am curious about that shop in NH. Can you just tell me the name of the town/city?
    (I am not a shop owner, just curious)...
    lot2do
    Old 01-16-2010, 04:57 PM

I went to a LQS today to get fabric, since my son was at a birthday party nearby. I thought having my daughter was going to be a problem, since I know quilt stores often frown on having children in the store, but she sat quietly at a lego table while I shopped. About five minutes after we got there, she informed me she had to go to the bathroom. Being five, I knew she couldn't hold it long, so I went to put back my fabric and take her home. The saleslady who overheard my daughter's urgency, immediately caught me and said there was a bathroom in the back. I walked back there, but a large group of women were there for a BOM meeting. The owner of the store took my daughter's hand and took her back to the bathroom. She waited for her to come out and then helped her get back to me. I ended up shopping for another half an hour. I now have my fabric for the Funky Chicken blocks. I will definitely be back to shop.
    Old 01-16-2010, 05:24 PM

We have several shops within 20 miles and most are awesome. But the one that is closest to my home (10 minutes away) has awful customer service. One of the owners isn't rude; she simply chooses who she wants to wait on. I was at the cutting counter for almost 10 minutes (no one else in line). She was chatting to what sounded like someone she knew very well....anyway, after 10 minutes and her totally ignoring me, I left 4 bolts of fabric on the cutting counter, walked right past her, and walked out. I've heard the same thing from many others. Hard to believe they're still in business.