Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bandana Quilt? >
  • Bandana Quilt?

• Bandana Quilt?

Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 PM

where do you get the pat for this one or how many bandanas do you use for a king size?
    Old 05-01-2013, 06:38 AM

Be careful about buying bandanas! They used to be sturdy and useful giant "hankies" that would keep out dust and could be used for just about anything. Now days bandanas are "cute". They are smaller and much, much thinner. You can still get the old style, but you have to look for them. Perhaps western shops, or work clothes specialty shops. I grew up on a cattle ranch and we used bandanas for handkies, dust covers for our faces, hotpads at campfires, as wash cloths and towels, for dishes and our own bodies. (I'm not saying we used one for all of these, but these were some of the purposes of the sturdy bandanas.)
    Old 05-02-2013, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra
    Be careful about buying bandanas! They used to be sturdy and useful giant "hankies" that would keep out dust and could be used for just about anything. Now days bandanas are "cute". They are smaller and much, much thinner. You can still get the old style, but you have to look for them. Perhaps western shops, or work clothes specialty shops. I grew up on a cattle ranch and we used bandanas for handkies, dust covers for our faces, hotpads at campfires, as wash cloths and towels, for dishes and our own bodies. (I'm not saying we used one for all of these, but these were some of the purposes of the sturdy bandanas.)
    That is so true. The original bandanas were made in the USA and now come from China, huge difference. You best best is to shop around. Maybe the jeans company made the original ones.
    Old 06-18-2015, 10:00 AM

I made one using cheap Walmart bandanas, so I could practice my FMQ on it. It is has become a family favorite.
    Old 06-18-2015, 10:22 AM

Love the denim & bandana quilt.
    Old 06-18-2015, 02:22 PM

I made one using fabric that had bandana print. I used a puzzle quilt pattern....sort of like a crazy quilt, I have been told. Let me see if I can find a picture.

Dina
    Attached Thumbnails s8002000.jpg  
    Old 03-29-2016, 05:58 AM

Default Bandana Quuilt

I have this exact quilt and am looking for another one to match to use in our travel trailer. I cannot find it anywhere for sale online. Is this one for sale by chance or do you know where I can buy one?

Thank you,
    Krystala
    Old 03-29-2016, 08:16 AM

That would be great. I think that I'd line each one with a thin iron on fusable to make it more sturdy. Some of them have lose weaving. I think they'd be pretty set on point. You could use plain fabric in the same color scheme that the bandanas are in and maybe since they are all have black you could do black corner stones, or just all black sashing to make the colors pop
    Old 03-29-2016, 11:14 AM

I used them to make pinwheels. Bandanna pinwheels are super cute! I paired the colors with a constant white-on-white fabric.
    Old 03-29-2016, 05:16 PM

A lot of the bandanas on the market now are not 100% cotton. And bleeding is another problem with some of the current bandanas.

As an aside, when learning to iron, my first pieces to tackle were Dad's bandana handkerchiefs - red ones and blue ones. Eventually I was trusted with his blue chambray long sleeved work shirts. I still have a fondness for those items and wish I had the privilege of ironing those for him now.