Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bargello Help  needed! >
  • Bargello Help needed!

• Bargello Help needed!

Old 01-31-2015, 05:49 PM

Bargello is on my list. I even have the fabrics...various musical notes prints. A number of people have told me to read, read, read before my first attempt.

The sample I saw was strictly black notes on white and it looked like the notes were moving through the waves of music.

I so have a collection of black on white, although I do have some color musical notes prints in my collection. I'm wondering if putting color in occasionally will stop the "waves."

I would appreciate suggestions/solutions to potential bargello problems for newbies.

Thanks!
    Old 01-31-2015, 07:47 PM

I watched the serenity bargello tutorial by Northcott. Picked eight fabrics and made a small one before attempting larger ones. This helped me. You will have pieces left over and do a lot of stitch ripping and sewing back parts of strips back together. Really should making a key of what color you place where. I numbered a notebook paper 1 through however many strips (fabric) and taped a piece of each fabric to its # placement. Which the bargello patterns tell you to do). ManiacQuilter2 just beautiful quilt.
    Old 01-31-2015, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by thrums
    Bargello is on my list. I even have the fabrics...various musical notes prints. A number of people have told me to read, read, read before my first attempt.

The sample I saw was strictly black notes on white and it looked like the notes were moving through the waves of music.

I so have a collection of black on white, although I do have some color musical notes prints in my collection. I'm wondering if putting color in occasionally will stop the "waves."

I would appreciate suggestions/solutions to potential bargello problems for newbies.

Thanks!
    When I made my first Bargello a little over a year ago, I asked for advice from members of this board. I got some great suggestions. Let me see if I can find that thread. Yes, here it is.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t235168.html

After reading all the good advice, I got Eileen Wright's book, Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts. I picked out Surf Song to make, but FIRST I made a placemat from the pattern in the back of that book. She has designed that pattern for quilters who have never made a Bargello. It has the instructions in step by step simple to follow order, and once I had made one place mat, I felt that I understood the process well enough to "go for it."

That was 7 Bargellos ago. I am addicted. The only other advice I would give is to not feel so worried about fabric selection. I added a few to my last few that were "questionable," and they made the quilts. I will add pictures if I can find them.

Dina
    Attached Thumbnails s8002130.jpg   s8001978.jpg   s8001647.jpg  
    Old 02-01-2015, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by elly66
    I watched the serenity bargello tutorial by Northcott. Picked eight fabrics and made a small one before attempting larger ones. This helped me. You will have pieces left over and do a lot of stitch ripping and sewing back parts of strips back together. Really should making a key of what color you place where. I numbered a notebook paper 1 through however many strips (fabric) and taped a piece of each fabric to its # placement. Which the bargello patterns tell you to do). ManiacQuilter2 just beautiful quilt.
    I think this is the one I did, too. The demonstrator says to start all of the strips at the same end and I wondered if I'd get a curve. Sure did! Now I have a pretty good chunk of those strips sewn together as left overs. Any suggestions as to how to use those? It is a pretty pattern but remember to not sew from the same end all the time!
    Old 02-01-2015, 05:09 AM

I love your color selection! That is going to look fantastic when you get it finished!
    Old 02-01-2015, 05:42 AM

go to Quiltville.com and look up Bonnies Scrappy Bargello - it will give you an idea of what you need to do
    Old 02-01-2015, 07:07 AM

Love all of the great advice given - makes me want to make one now!
    Old 02-01-2015, 10:02 AM

OH how wonderful that everyone piped in with instructions, because mine would be all over the map!

I HATE reading a pattern, and get so frustrated with myself because I can't "get it". I just took 9 fabrics put them in strips, and cut them in 1 inch / 2 inch and 3 inch strips. Found a pic online of a simple bargello and winged it ...

I'm almost done the other half LOL ... just have to sew them all together!

I can't believe these intimidated me !!!
    Old 02-01-2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts
    OH how wonderful that everyone piped in with instructions, because mine would be all over the map!

I HATE reading a pattern, and get so frustrated with myself because I can't "get it". I just took 9 fabrics put them in strips, and cut them in 1 inch / 2 inch and 3 inch strips. Found a pic online of a simple bargello and winged it ...

I'm almost done the other half LOL ... just have to sew them all together!

I can't believe these intimidated me !!!
    Wow, if you are almost done with the other half...you are really making progress!! Doesn't it feel good, and isn't it nice to have something really complicated looking not really be that hard at all.... I am very anxious to see your next picture!!

Dina
    Old 02-01-2015, 01:41 PM

I love the bright colors you are using. It's going to be a real beauty!!