Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Basting a large quilt with glue - how do you do it? >
  • Basting a large quilt with glue - how do you do it?

• Basting a large quilt with glue - how do you do it?

Old 08-05-2012, 10:21 AM

Default Basting a large quilt with glue - how do you do it?

I know that there have been many threads about usage of wonderful Elmer's school glue and I read them all. One thing that I could not find in any of the posts is how to go about basting the whole large quilt using glue. Do I apply it on 1/2 batting in small dots and than carefully fold out the backing, do the same with second half, and when it is dry repeat the process with the top? OR do I go the usual way - backing-glue-batting-glue-top? Does it matter? If you have ever done this, please respond what issues, if any, you encountered. My quilt is 64 x 84, so not too big but not small either. All tips are appreciated. Thank you all!
    Old 08-05-2012, 10:40 AM
    Power Poster

COYOTEMAGIC was kind enough to post her method for basting with Elmer's glue some time ago. Here is a link to her post in an old thread:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t180790-6.html
    Old 08-05-2012, 10:40 AM

I asked this question in another thread. This is the response that I received. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post5396482

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-05-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: replace copy/paste with link to other QB post
    Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 AM

thanks for all the information from the other posts. I;m goiny to have to give it a try the next time.
    Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 AM

Bellaboo posted at the beginning of June that she water down the Elmers with water and sprayed it on with a spray bottle. I thought that was a great idea and I am going to try this next time I baste a quilt. Gina
    Old 08-14-2012, 04:13 AM
    Suz

Mike'sgirl,
    Did Bellaboo say the quantities of glue to water ratio? As I was reading this threads, I thought about the spray thing as I do machine applique using the embroidery module. I use the commercially canned spray glue (expensive) to secure the background to the stabilizer and thought the Elmer's spray might work as well and be a lot cheaper.

Bellaboo, if you are reading this thread, please give us the recipe. Thanks.
    Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 AM

I have been using the spray baste stuff for up to queen size quilts and love it.
    I have been using the Elmers dot style for smaller quilts and it seems to work very well also. In fact, I use it around the edges of the large quilts where I miss with the spray. Dot on and then press.
    On another string, someone had mentioned using Elmer for piecing and matching blocks instead of pinning so I tried it and love it. Especially after they said the glue baste product is made by Elmer.
    I have not tried the glue/water spray mix but wouild love to know the ratio as well. I think the only thing that would be different from spray baste is the dry time before ironing, but then maybe not if I don't get too heavy handed with the spray.