Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • BATICS!!!!!!!!!!  Why didnt Anyone Tell me They are SO awesome! >
  • BATICS!!!!!!!!!! Why didnt Anyone Tell me They are SO awesome!

• BATICS!!!!!!!!!! Why didnt Anyone Tell me They are SO awesome!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 PM

I absolutely love batiks and fell in love with them after buying my first piece online because of the color and the pattern. Now I probably have over a hundred different ones and keep buying more. I only buy them online though because at Fabricland in Edmonton they are charging $22 metre (39") for them. And they aren't even a Quilt shop. I can't imagine what they would cost at the LQS.
    Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 PM

I absolutely love batiks and fell in love with them after buying my first piece online because of the color and the pattern. Now I probably have over a hundred different ones and keep buying more. I only buy them online though because at Fabricland in Edmonton they are charging $22 metre (39") for them. And they aren't even a Quilt shop. I can't imagine what they would cost at the LQS.
    Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 PM
    np3
    Power Poster

Oh no! You will be hooked!
    Old 10-06-2010, 10:14 PM

lmao, My cousin talked me into making my first quilt a few months back..She took me to joanns to fabric shop..I stood at the corner of the quilting area and did a quick visual scan then proceeded to walk straight over to the batiks. haha
    My cousin was like, omg, do you have friggin color radar?! lol
    Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 PM

I went to conference once in Detroit and a friend and I stayed an extra two days to shop hop in the small towns in the surrounding area. Bought so many Batiks I had to buy another suitcase (at the airport) to go home cuase I was overweight. Not sure what my total fabric bill for that trip was- got to the point I just handed them my plastic, signed it and didn't look at the $$. Fun trip.
    Old 10-07-2010, 01:00 AM

I am a batik lover too. I recently bought the ones from Connecting Threads. They are thinner, but they are very nice. I will have no problem buying more of them! They did wash up nicely, but I haven't sewn with them yet.

The ones in Joann's are over priced at $12.99/yd. Not too bad with a 40-50% coupon. The quality of those are similar to the Connecting Threads batiks. But if I'm going to spend that much, I'd rather check the LQS first because they have much more variety than my local Joann's.
    Old 10-07-2010, 03:16 AM

OMGosh! I just bought a ton from Connecting Threads too! Im not sure what pattern I will ues for them yet, but I have to have all I can get my hands on so when I find the pattern, Im ready to go & sew! Have fun!
    Old 10-07-2010, 03:23 AM

I don't even want you to get started at Hancocks of Paducah where tons of batiks are on a serious sale all the time. I sure do want to find them there when I go to buy. So ... don't even think about it.

I never knew what batik was until a short eight years ago. And I have been riding the batik love train ever since. The thread count on some can be tight and off-putting for hand quilters. And be sure to change your machine needle more frequently.
    Old 10-07-2010, 04:35 AM

I got a bunch of the lovely batiks from Roberta (bob1414) on this board, twice, and they are my all-time favorite fabrics ever.

Love the feel of them as well as the gorgeous colors.

I can't wait till she has some more, but last I heard, her supplier was ill (hope he is well soon).

My wallet however is enjoying the break, because I always spend at least double what I would at a visit to Joann's or LQS since they are so lovely and I MUST have lots of them!
    Old 10-07-2010, 04:43 AM

We didn't tell because we didn't want to ruin the surprise!

Yes, batiks are flat out the BEST! Connecting Threads has come out with their own line of batiks. I only got my order last week - they are AWESOME! The feel is better than silk ANF they are only $5.96 a yard! Their Mirage fabric is great to and also silky.

http://www.connectingthreads.com

Waiting for your shipment to arrive is the only downer about them, but worth the wait. To make matters worse, they let you know when your order shipped, so you can pace back & forth waiting for the mailman every day until it arrives! They use the Post Office for mailing. Mine arrived exactly 1 week after it shipped.

Their thread is also terrific! CAn't beat the price & it;s low lint.