Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • BATICS!!!!!!!!!!  Why didnt Anyone Tell me They are SO awesome! >
  • BATICS!!!!!!!!!! Why didnt Anyone Tell me They are SO awesome!

• BATICS!!!!!!!!!! Why didnt Anyone Tell me They are SO awesome!

Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    I have no idea on a pattern yet. I LOVE scrappy quilts. I am buying pinks and purples, and teals, LOL, think they might look really good with black!
    Anything looks good with black! Makes everything sing!
    Look at my avatar and guess who else is addicted to batiks! I love working with the bright colors and strong contrasts, and have decided that (for me, anyway,) orange is a neutral--it goes with everything.
    I do have a tip on working with them--be cautious in using any fusible product with them, because the tiny amount of wax that remains in the fabric from the production process makes it almost impossible for the fusible to stick. (Ask me how I know!) :lol: :lol:
    Old 10-08-2010, 06:55 AM

But then you'll have the $$$ to buy but not the time to sew. Such a conumdrum!
    quote=CarrieAnne]Therapy?! I dont even WANT therapy, just a second JOB, lol![/quote]
    Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 AM

LOL, I found a new fabric obsession. Some of you might know I am obbsessed with the 30's fabrics. Pretty bad when I have all the prints that the local Quilt shop carries, lol!
    I stopped the other day, because a lady wanted a certain type of fabric, and found this AWESOME pile of batik FQ's. ON SALE! Never really looked at them, because I knew they were out of my budget, but these were only 2.00 a FQ! SO, I bought a few..........went back a while later for more!
    NOW, I am checking them out in the Connecting Threads catalog......oh, no, new obsession??????????
    Isn't CT great? I have some Batiks and 3 jelly rolls of them and I am afraid to do them up. I am learning on my own and chicken to try. Any simple ideas??
    Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 AM

I THINK so.............someone needs to steal my Connecting Threads catalog.........No, wait, dont!
    I just ordered the Batik Paradise Strip sampler this morning to be used to make the Hanging Gardens quilt from Cozy Quilt Designs. That pattern just screamed BATIKS!! to me. For the queen size I need 39- 2 1/2" strips and the sampler has 79 strips - that means I can get 2 quilts out of one sampler (plus the background, border and accent pieces). Not bad for $32.28!
    Old 10-08-2010, 09:03 AM

I love the handling of batiks. I don't have many, but those that I do have such a smooth finish and so easy to sew that I'm sure I'll be using more of them. Hope I don't get addicted!
    Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbin along
    Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    I have no idea on a pattern yet. I LOVE scrappy quilts. I am buying pinks and purples, and teals, LOL, think they might look really good with black!
    Anything looks good with black! Makes everything sing!
    Look at my avatar and guess who else is addicted to batiks! I love working with the bright colors and strong contrasts, and have decided that (for me, anyway,) orange is a neutral--it goes with everything.
    I do have a tip on working with them--be cautious in using any fusible product with them, because the tiny amount of wax that remains in the fabric from the production process makes it almost impossible for the fusible to stick. (Ask me how I know!) :lol: :lol:
    I guess I will have to be more carefull using fusibles with my batiks. I use them all the time and have never had a problem with the fusible sticking. In fact I am using them right now in a witch wallhanging I am doing for halloween.
    Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 PM

I love batik's Joanns is having a sale this weekend on FQ's for .99, I plan to be there when they open in the morning.
    I was there earlier this week and they had a ton of batiks
    Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 PM

Now Santa knows what to get you!!
    Old 10-08-2010, 01:57 PM

I would rather have batiks than any other fabric.
    Old 10-08-2010, 02:32 PM

I love Batiks also. Every time I am looking for a project, I always seem to end up in front of the batks!