Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batik fat quarters >
  • Batik fat quarters

• Batik fat quarters

Old 02-11-2012, 08:10 PM

LQS and I have bought some nice sets online
    Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 PM

However you buy your batiks - I would strongly suggest that you prewash them. I started buying batik fat quarters after buying the "Lucky Star" pattern - it called for 30 fat quarters. Then I found another pattern that used fat quarters - so decided to start buying half yard cuts instead of the fat quarters. Then, I started LOVING the batiks so much that I started buying one yard cuts. I had quite a stack of them and one day I just finished washing some dishes and my pure white plastic dish pan was empty and clean - so I decided to dunk a few FQ in the water with a drop of liquid detergent and was I SURPRISED - most of them bled. A couple of them bled so bad that I threw them away. They would never rinse clean. I rolled each piece in big thirsty bath towels and then hung them up on clothes lines that I had my DH to string up in the house. They dried fairly unwrinkled and I have folded them and put them on shelves un-ironed. Just figured that I would iron them when I finally cut them up. Also, one of the very few that I felt was not very good quality was one that had the JoAnn's paper wrap on it - it was very rough - most of the batiks are very smooth and slilky feeling.

Hope this helps!!!
    Old 02-12-2012, 02:31 AM

Thanks for the replies. I know there's alot of batiks out there, I was just wondering what your favorite source was.

My teacher is a stickler for setting your dye in any fabric by soaking it in salt, then washing and drying it. She sent out a letter stating to get two 1/2 yards of coodinated batik, or 4 fat quaters. I'm not sure what project we'll be working on.

Thanks again for the advice!
    Old 02-12-2012, 04:46 AM

They follow many of the quilt shows and festivals as well. They have been at the Houston show and a couple of smaller shows in Texas I've been too. Definitely have the best selection I've seen. Another place is in Joshua, TX, I forget the name but you could google batiks and Joshua, Tx and find it. It is located out in the middle of a dairy farm but wonderful store....full of nice baticks.