Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batiks... >
  • Batiks...

• Batiks...

Old 04-16-2013, 09:25 AM

I really appreciate the input...I don't normally prewash but the batiks are different in my way of thinking. So, am pretty sure I will do something to test them.
    Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 AM

Can anyone tell me if it is a problem if all the colors I use in a quilt are woodland colors will any bleed really be a problem? Even the background is a dark fishing print. I am thinking of using black batting too.

All the batiks are 1895 line from Hoffman and are the woodland colors of rust, blue, brown, green.
    Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 AM

I adore batiks, and never pre-wash the ones that are high quality, have no 'wrong' side, usually bought on-line. So far I have had no bleeding at all...
    Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by sweetana3
    Can anyone tell me if it is a problem if all the colors I use in a quilt are woodland colors will any bleed really be a problem? Even the background is a dark fishing print. I am thinking of using black batting too.

All the batiks are 1895 line from Hoffman and are the woodland colors of rust, blue, brown, green.
    The 1895 are some of the biggest bleeders. Toss one into the sink with warm water, leave it for about 10 minutes, hand agitate , and make your own decision.
    The problem can be worse if you have a high effieciency /low water washing machine. The released dye will be concentrated.
    Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM

I prewash all my fabric. When I wash my quilts I use color catchers just in case. Right now I'm washing red for a backing. There is a lot of white on the front of the quilt (what was I thinking!!). It is on the second wash now - with a color catcher - it will be interesting to see how much color it picked up.
    Old 04-16-2013, 04:28 PM

I don't buy batiks anymore after choosing and buying some for a very special quilt. HA! I prewash and they bled. And bled, and bled, and ...you get the idea. Some even changed color! It was sad, because I'd bought all of them at quilt shops. I used synthrapol and retayne and then vinegar and nothing really worked. So go figure...
    Old 04-16-2013, 04:37 PM

color catchers.. they catch the lose color in your wash so if you have a small piece say a fq and washing isnt always the best idea.. use a color catcher when you finish the product to catch that extra dye
    Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

I prewash everything. with intense colors, I generally run a check afterwards. I buy good batiks. I have only had one bleed. It was an intense dark blue, that stopped bleeding after a second wash.
    Old 04-16-2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    I prewash all my fabric. When I wash my quilts I use color catchers just in case. Right now I'm washing red for a backing. There is a lot of white on the front of the quilt (what was I thinking!!). It is on the second wash now - with a color catcher - it will be interesting to see how much color it picked up.
    I bought 9 yards of a red fabric for the back of a quilt. Washed it at least 6 times with color catcher and it still bled. I had to buy another fabric for the back as the front of the quilt had white fabric in it. Red can really be a problem. Love it but....
    Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 PM

I am running a couple of batiks through the washer for a second time right this minute. They bled terribly the first time through so I treated them and am trying again. You never know - no problems with a bunch of them, even dark ones, and then BAM - one of them turns the color catcher the same color as the fabric.