Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Battery Operated Sewing Machine >
  • Battery Operated Sewing Machine

• Battery Operated Sewing Machine

Old 03-29-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Originally Posted by yolanda
    thanks again to everyone for their suggestions -- i will take along hand work of some sort --- still feeling silly for my post
    No need to feel silly. It was a good question.
    Definately do not feel silly. We camp to and it crossed my mind as well. Now I have an answer to a question I was to chicken to ask myself :lol:
    Old 03-29-2011, 02:29 PM

I take my big machine with, I'm used to it and no how it works and nothing else will do.
    Old 03-29-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by yolanda
    I didn't think of a handcrank - very nice! Actually I feel silly posting this and have decided to learn to crochet or bring along a swedish weave project I have waiting in a closet ;-)
    Ooooo, Swedish Weaving. I love to do that! Very relaxing...unless you count something wrong!
    Old 03-29-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
    Originally Posted by irishrose
    Quilters on the vintage site love handcranks for camping. I can't speak from experience, but it'd sew a better seam if you can find one.
    My significant other is into antique car shows. Personally, I can stand it for about 5 minutes but I want to be with him. Solution? Quilt while he gawks!

Here's a picture of his '62 T-bird (on the left) and a $80, 000 restored Tbird on the right. In the middle is me and my hand crank. It was wonderful to be able to do SOMETHING while there. Plus, IMHO, I pulled in the crowds because people were curious about what I was doing. The funniest thing was how many didn't know about hand crank machines! :-)

By the way, I made VERY sure that my umbrella, if it fell over, wouldn't come close to the $80K car!!! I also found it funny that the owner, who I'll call Mr. Old Grumpy, complained about my sewing taking attention away from his car! :roll: But, as I said, I was pulling in the crowds!! he he he
    LOVING IT!! my DH is a car buff too and has dragged my along wish I had thought of this then LOL
    Old 03-29-2011, 03:34 PM

I think it was a good question as well, because I also have wondered a out these battery machines.
    Old 03-29-2011, 03:38 PM

Ohhh!! I just asked DH, and our tent trailer will run my sewing machine!! Huh OH!!! :-)

Yes, an older hand crank machine will probably be much better than battery operated. Good luck!!
    Old 03-29-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
    Originally Posted by irishrose
    Quilters on the vintage site love handcranks for camping. I can't speak from experience, but it'd sew a better seam if you can find one.
    My significant other is into antique car shows. Personally, I can stand it for about 5 minutes but I want to be with him. Solution? Quilt while he gawks!

Here's a picture of his '62 T-bird (on the left) and a $80, 000 restored Tbird on the right. In the middle is me and my hand crank. It was wonderful to be able to do SOMETHING while there. Plus, IMHO, I pulled in the crowds because people were curious about what I was doing. The funniest thing was how many didn't know about hand crank machines! :-)

By the way, I made VERY sure that my umbrella, if it fell over, wouldn't come close to the $80K car!!! I also found it funny that the owner, who I'll call Mr. Old Grumpy, complained about my sewing taking attention away from his car! :roll: But, as I said, I was pulling in the crowds!! he he he
    Hahaha!! Hey....what's my '62 Bird doing with you? I have one same color, only we're in CA!!! :-) I LOVE seeing you sitting there sewing. Great idea!!!
    Old 03-29-2011, 04:06 PM

I don't think it is a silly post at all. I didn't know they made machines with batteries and I would have never thought of a handcrank machine. I say go for it.
    Old 03-29-2011, 04:58 PM

make room for a trendle machine
    Old 03-29-2011, 05:51 PM

If there isn't any electricity, can you run a generator where you camp?