Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batting for baby quilts? >
  • Batting for baby quilts?

• Batting for baby quilts?

Old 10-28-2019, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tothill
    You are correct Cathy, many new Mums use sleep sacks for their babies when they put them to bed. That is why I was asking about a stroller quilt and a tummy time one.

I have lots of 80/20 and some bamboo batting. I will likely use the 80/20 and perhaps use two layers in the tummy time one.
    It sounds like you've got the right idea. 80/20 sounds great. The typical Warm and Natural is 88/12, so not much different anyway. The minky will be cuddly for the stroller ;-). Good luck!
    Old 10-28-2019, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
    I have to agree with Illinois - I have used poly batting for at least 30 years now and so far no one has burned to death or suffered a burn of any kind from my quilts. Cotton burns easily. Everyone needs to be careful. I am very partial to wool now - but that is because it has been processes to where it is machine washable and dryable.
    Do they basically use superwash wool to make wool batting? If so, it must not felt at all when its washed. I've been wary of using wool batting because I kept having a mental image of the inside of my quilt turning into a felted Barbie sweater*, but just having you use the word processed turned on the light. The best reason to use wool batting, if you are concerned about fire risk, is that wool doesn't keep burning, it self extinguishes.

*A felted Barbie sweater is made when someone takes a nice cashmere or lambswool sweater and washes it in hot water, and then dries it on high. It goes from a women's small to a 4T!