Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which batting do you think holds up best for a childs quilt.. ?? >
  • Which batting do you think holds up best for a childs quilt.. ??

• Which batting do you think holds up best for a childs quilt.. ??

Old 12-02-2010, 01:57 PM
    Banned

I second this wholeheartedly!!!!

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    polyester! and dream poly is the best! wears like steel, does not shrink, easy to work with...stays soft. launders and launders.
    Old 12-02-2010, 02:43 PM

warn and natural is the way that I would go. but it just depends on the parents and how "eco-ala-natural" they are going. ie cloth diapers no chemicals in the house makes their own cloths will only use certain types of material and eats only from healthy food stores.
    I went with a warm and natural for a mommy who was going very "natural" with her baby. (she is a first timer) she has kept it up also. more love to her.
    Old 12-02-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
    I've used Warm and Natural or Warm and White for years. Buy an entire bolt of 40 yards when Joanns store has it on sale or on line with free shipping. Will last you a long time!!! This stuff wears like iron...is a dream to machine quilt....washes and drys to give you the wonder ''old fashioned'' look of an antique quilt. LOVE W&N!!

jodi in leavenworth
    I've used it in a lot of kids quilts and it has done beautifully. Love those Joanns 50% and free shipping coupons.
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Being less than 2 years into quilting I don't have experience as to how my Warm & natural quilts will hold up 10 years from now.. plus Ive given them to family and they are 'super' careful when washing and drying so I cannot attest to how would any of my baby quilts battings would hold up.. So im asking those of you who have knowledge on childs quilts batting that are 5+ years old that have gone thu millions of washing and draggings arounds.. Which ones have held up to a child's love?? What batting have you used in them??
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:32 PM

My daughters first quilt is 7 years old and has warm n natural in it and has held together really well considering the blocks were 10" and stitched in the ditch. She has a queen size quilt on her bed I made 5 years ago and it has warm n natural as well and is holding up with weekly washings/drying.
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I've used both Quilter's Dream poly and Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 cotton and both have lasted years and years. The oldest baby quilt is 10 years old and it's still in great shape.

I don't like Warm and Natural for anything.
    this is what Id like to hear.. that even after 5-10-15 years the quilt may be used and tattered but batting still holding strong
    The two oldest girls still use their quilts for nap quilts and lap quilts. They're not even slightly tattered yet. I'm pretty sure both of those quilts have Hobb's Heirloom 80/20. I only used Warm and Natural for the first two twin size quilts I made. They have a lot firmer surface and they're not as cuddly as the Hobb's batting.
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 PM

Warm n natural. Washes like a dream. Made a quilt for teen age son and used polly...fell apart. So sad.
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:38 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by crochetetc
    My daughters first quilt is 7 years old and has warm n natural in it and has held together really well considering the blocks were 10" and stitched in the ditch. She has a queen size quilt on her bed I made 5 years ago and it has warm n natural as well and is holding up with weekly washings/drying.
    Does it get 'bunchy' ?

I really love working with warm & natural, machines well for me but like i mentioned before my quilts are still pretty new to see of the batting 'falls apart' sandwiched between the top and bottom..

Ive used polly too for the 'fluff' factor but again still too soon to see if it holds up and doesn't 'bunch' between where its quilted..
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:42 PM

Does it get 'bunchy' ?

I really love working with warm & natural, machines well for me but like i mentioned before my quilts are still pretty new to see of the batting 'falls apart' sandwiched between the top and bottom..[/quote]

What do you mean by bunchy? I did not pre wash my fabric so that it would shrink around the quilting. I dont have any clumps of batting, it is still in its original shape. The queen size was stippled from edge to edge and again was not prewashed for the shrink effect.
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:54 PM
    Power Poster

I think that if you follow the guidelines for how close together the quilting lines need to be, either poly or W&N will last at least as long as the binding and outer fabric.