Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which batting do you think holds up best for a childs quilt.. ?? >
  • Which batting do you think holds up best for a childs quilt.. ??

• Which batting do you think holds up best for a childs quilt.. ??

Old 12-03-2010, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
    I've used Warm and Natural or Warm and White for years. Buy an entire bolt of 40 yards when Joanns store has it on sale or on line with free shipping. Will last you a long time!!! This stuff wears like iron...is a dream to machine quilt....washes and drys to give you the wonder ''old fashioned'' look of an antique quilt. LOVE W&N!!

jodi in leavenworth
    I agree totally. Warm and Natural. Edie
    Old 12-03-2010, 04:29 AM

Your binding for a child's quilt is also very important for durability. Use a heavier fabric than the fine premium cottons, and use the French method of doubling the binding. (Cut a double-wide bias strip, fold in half, match the seams, and machine stitch the raw edges together onto the front side of your quilt. Now you have the bias fold--with no raw edge--to handstitch to the back side.) And if your quilt design allows, round off the corners. It helps.
    Old 12-03-2010, 04:46 AM

I also get the whole bolt of warm and natural with half off coupon at JoAnns and it works great for everything!
    Old 12-03-2010, 05:21 AM

My mother used polyester when she quilted two baby quilts for my oldest son (before he was born, of course). He is now 35 and I still have them ... lots of washings. The edges on one are certainly frayed and they both have two holes in them in one corner. Both my sons used them as "super hero" capes and that's where I pinned the diaper pin! lol Wouldn't trade these for anything!!

Also, I have one diaper changing mat that she quilted using cotton batting for me (I'm 61). It was not used as a cape! lol
    Old 12-03-2010, 05:26 AM

use a thin blanket for the batting ....thats what i use in all my quilts
    Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 AM

Which batting really depends on the look you are going for with your quilts. Warm and Natural, Quilters Dream Request or Select or Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 are all good. The cotton ones drap more naturally (more cuddly) and are more comfortable. The more polyester the more it feels like a "steam" blanket. However, the poly ones feel more "puffy". Assuming you are machine quilting and not hand quilting the warm and natural or quilters dream select would be good choices. As someone else mentioned, the binding will wear out first. Be sure to use the double fold method. And do not use clear nylon thread to quilt with, but rather use a good quality cotton or cotton/poly. A child's quilt will get well-loved and used ... but that is all good! Best of wishes with your project.
    Old 12-03-2010, 07:06 AM
    DJ

I'm on the Warm and Natural/White bandwagon.
    Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    Being less than 2 years into quilting I don't have experience as to how my Warm & natural quilts will hold up 10 years from now.. plus Ive given them to family and they are 'super' careful when washing and drying so I cannot attest to how would any of my baby quilts battings would hold up.. So im asking those of you who have knowledge on childs quilts batting that are 5+ years old that have gone thu millions of washing and draggings arounds.. Which ones have held up to a child's love?? What batting have you used in them??
    I've been using Mountain Mist 100% Polyester for years. My kids quilts are 20 yo and doing well. I made a quilt for DD to put on her cedar chest so her cats wouldn't scratch it up, and that is still doing well after 20 yrs. My lst DGS is 7, and he used his quilts, his 2 little brothers used his quilts, and his cousin used them. I think Poly holds up pretty well.
    Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM

I love the way warm and natural handles, although since I don't use anything else I don't know if its the best for kids.:)
    Old 12-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Polyester.....I know that Project Linus requests a poly batt for their children's quilts. I think it's much more cuddly that the W&N