Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batting help >
  • Batting help

• Batting help

Old 03-31-2015, 08:53 AM

Default Batting help

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting. I have made several quilt over the years, but I am in no way experienced. I am in desperate need of advice on batting. In the quilts I have made in the past, I have always used the cotton batting from Walmart. It was fine and served the purpose. Well, I am making my daughter a new quilt for her bed. I have really put a lot of time in the quilt top. The top is mainly black and white with a strip of hot pink. The backing is hot pink. At first, I had decided to go with a batting from JoAnn's - Soft n Crafty (Loft 3) 100% bonded polyester. I wanted the quilt to be thicker than the past quilts I made with the cotton battings. I also wanted minimal shrinkage. I did want it to wrinkle or look "antiquey." However, I am so concerned over bearding. I really want that to avoid that as much as possible. I would really appreciate your expert advice and opinions on batting. Thanks in advance.
    Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 PM

I use connecting threads batting.a member said that is what she used and me not knowing anything jumped on that I like it 80 20 cotton of course I have only made a few quilts. search on this board for batting lots of suggestions good luck on your quilt sounds beautiful. will be watching to see what other think I would like a thicker batting also
    Old 03-31-2015, 02:22 PM

In my experience, wool tends to beard through dark fabrics. That's what I would normally recommend if you are looking for a thicker batting. I have no experience with polyester, so don't know if that is prone to bearding.
    Old 03-31-2015, 02:38 PM

You could also try bamboo, wool/cotton, or bamboo/cotton blends. Where does your daughter live? That can also determine what kind of batting you might want to use? Connecting Threads sells Hobbs brand.

I used a wool batt without much bearding.
    Old 04-01-2015, 05:07 AM
    Power Poster

I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for in thread, fabric and batting quality. The best batting is Quilter's Dream Cotton. They have a variety of batting and have excellent customer service. They are located in Chesapeake, VA. I have used Hobbs 80/20 since this batting was first introduced to the quilting market and have been very pleased with it's qualities. I would suggest that you find a good quality of poly batting from Quilter's Dream if you don't want to have any crinkling. But don't press your seams open.