Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • batting from JoAnn's??? >
  • batting from JoAnn's???

• batting from JoAnn's???

Old 02-02-2016, 06:08 AM

Here is some information on how Batting is described: Polyester batting thicknesses are 10 oz is 1" (one inch) thick. 6 oz is 1/2 inch. 8 oz is 3/4 inch, and 4 oz is 3/8 inch. The thin batting is for garments, such as for the lapels of jackets and coats. BE AWARE of what you are buying. TALK to the clerks. When buying online, ASK QUESTIONS, and get answers before you buy.
    Old 02-02-2016, 07:02 AM

I have bought that batting and it was ok. Not as good as the more expensive, but it did work and My son has a quilt made od it and it washes well.
    Old 02-02-2016, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue
    You could probably return it for a refund....I would certainly try.
    If you've already cut the batting, it's not returnable. Anything sold that has a measurement will be re-measure and a refund will be given only with the original receipt
    Old 02-02-2016, 07:25 AM

I believe I have used the same batting, bought a couple rolls actually, because of the price. It quilted up fine and although I would prefer the 100% or 80/20%, I can't justify the price for quilts that I donate.
    Old 02-02-2016, 08:13 AM

When I took my Learn to Quilt class we used 100% polyester(it was donated) It was horrible. I have tried Hobbs 80/20, I was not impressed with it and I know it is a favorite on this board. My favorite is the Warm and Natural too, which I purchase at JAF's with coupons. I am eager to try Hobbs wool batting and Quilters Dream varieties.
    If it were me I would try to return it, if that didn't work I would donate it to charities who quilt for donation.
    Old 02-02-2016, 08:14 AM

The back of the JoAnn receipt states it will make a refund at the most recent lowest selling price of the item if you do not have the receipt. Since you purchased it at a low price you might want to try to return it. Also, there is no date stating a time limit for returns on the receipt. I have cut fabric and then returned it because it was flawed and received a full refund. I've even prewashed fabric and it shrank so much I returned it and received a refund. I always deal with the manager, am polite and have no problems getting refunds with or without receipts.
    Old 02-02-2016, 09:51 AM

I have use warm and natural ones a long time ago [I think someone bought it for me] and it was great quilting but it is a little costly, but now after getting this batting for a deal I think I need to rethink on what I buy from now on.. I'll have to keep track of the coupons fro JoAnn's and make sure I get some of the good stuff.. I'll use this for some of the baby quilts that go to the hospital and some table runners..Thanks for all of your help..

Warm and Natural seems kind of thin does it puff up after washing it, or is there different weights in that as with the Poly
    Old 02-02-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by yonnikka
    Here is some information on how Batting is described: Polyester batting thicknesses are 10 oz is 1" (one inch) thick. 6 oz is 1/2 inch. 8 oz is 3/4 inch, and 4 oz is 3/8 inch. The thin batting is for garments, such as for the lapels of jackets and coats. BE AWARE of what you are buying. TALK to the clerks. When buying online, ASK QUESTIONS, and get answers before you buy.
    This is excellent information!Thanks. I've cut and pasted it so I don't lose it.
    Old 02-02-2016, 10:39 AM

I have used that batting -- it is good for light weight quilts (with foot problems I have to be careful about the weight of my quilts) and because it is poly it is warm. I prefer Warm and Natural and Hobbs 80/20 but if I have a blanket and a quilt on my bed I need light and this worked. It washes well (though I don't use hot water).
    Old 02-02-2016, 02:48 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941
    Warm and Natural seems kind of thin does it puff up after washing it, or is there different weights in that as with the Poly
    Last fall they introduced Warm & Plush. It's 100% cotton, no scrim & it's about half again as thick as the W&N. I like it a lot. Because it has no scrim, it needs to be quilted much more closely than W&N, I think it's 4" vs. the 10" for W&N.