Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • batting for potholders >
  • batting for potholders

• batting for potholders

Old 04-23-2014, 11:08 AM

I use Insul-brite between two layers of thin cotton batting. I was told never to use batting that had any poly content as it might melt with the heat. So with the top and bottom fabric, that is 5 layers--they are a little stiff but are holding up well.
    Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 AM
    Power Poster

I also use Insul-brite between two layers of W&N. After they are washed they are soft. We love them. Don't think I will ever buy another pot-holder as these are so easy to do. BrendaK
    Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 AM

I don't like the insul-brite type of batting because it's "noisy" from the silver lining. Also, insul-brite is polyester, so would theoretically melt.

I use 2-3-4 layers of cotton batting, cheapest batting I can find that is 100% cotton (or close), or else scrap batting from projects. Thick pot holder from the store use just cotton, without other fancy materials.
    Old 04-23-2014, 11:51 AM

I've done 3 different combos and I like them all - they're good for different purposes.

1. single layer of insul-brite. I like to do this for oversized potholders - great for things that aren't too hot and big enough to be folded in half in a pinch for something hotter.
    2. single layer of insul-brite + single layer cotton batting. This seems like a pretty "standard" thickness for potholders and works well for using them as trivets and for most other potholder needs.
    3. single layer of insul-brite sandwiched between 2 layers of cotton batting. This makes a puffy potholder that can really take some heat. Kind of a pain to sew together, but great for things that have been under the broiler.
    Old 04-23-2014, 11:54 AM

I use Insulbrite sandwiched with flannel then sandwiched with the decorative outside fabric.
    Old 04-23-2014, 11:57 AM

I've found that 2 layers of towel keep by hands safe. Batting transfers heat to quickly.
    Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieSue
    I've found that 2 layers of towel keep by hands safe. Batting transfers heat to quickly.
    I do the same or use two layers of cotton batting. I also use layers of decorator fabric ( cotton) that has gone way out of style for the insides.
    Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 PM

One layer of insul brite + 1 layer of cotton batting makes a wonderful pot holder. I love making pot holders aka kitchen quilts because they are immediately useful and they don't have to be perfect. I make 9 x 9 inch pot holders, use orphan blocks, strip pieced blocks or just plain old squares and bind them by machine. I love 'em because they are useful but not so pretty that those who receive them are hesitant to use them. froggyintexas
    Old 04-23-2014, 04:49 PM

I use two layers of insul brite with the shiny sides facing out. Also, the noisy crinkly sound goes away after washing and so does the stiffness. They work great.
    Old 04-23-2014, 06:35 PM

I recycle old jeans, using 2 pieces cut from jeans and 1 piece of batting between the jeans. Works great.