Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batting question? >
  • Batting question?

• Batting question?

Old 01-06-2016, 09:17 AM

It is wonderful! I use the Dream Orient which is all natural fibers. As you can see (and I did as I scrolled down the responses) many of us swear by it! Wonderful drape, easy to machine or hand quilt!
    Old 01-06-2016, 10:54 AM

I used to use W & N, then when I moved to Iowa from Florida I didn't have a JoAnne's nearby so had to make use of my local fabric store. They ordered a bolt for me and I thought I was getting W & N but found it to be Quilter's Dream 70/30. I have trouble figuring out which is which as they look so much alike ..............at least to me. I've gone strictly QD now and I usually wait for when I can get a good deal on it. I did purchase a QD 100% cotton batting which I'm going to try out on my next quilt on the frame. It claims only 1-3% shrinkage so we will see on that. I don't wash my fabrics before I use them so maybe I'll get lucky and they'll shrink about the same %. Yes, I know......in my dreams.
    Old 01-06-2016, 01:29 PM
    Power Poster

Dream battings are ( a Dream!) Wonderful battings, I've used many of them, the cottons, the Poly's, dream wool is a definite favorite. Dream green, dream orient, & bamboo... I love them all. Always excited to find a good sale on dream batting.
    ( and Jordan, no, Dream battings are not Hobbs batting-- 2 totally different companies)
    Old 01-06-2016, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan
    Is it Hobb's QD and where can this batting be purchased?.
    Quilter's Dream is not a Hobbs product.

My local quilt shop carries it. You can google for where to buy it in your area, or you can also purchase directly from their website.
    Old 01-07-2016, 04:34 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by My time
    I know batting has been discussed many times on this board but I have a question. I love Hobbs, and Warm and Natural, but I have never used Quilter's Dream Batting? It's such a good price right now and being a cheapskate, I am wondering what you think of it? Can you hand quilt with it? Does it handle like the others? Any information you might share would be most helpful.
    I have tried Quilter's dream batting and it is excellent. I called the company and there are helpful employees that can answer any ?s you may have. They will send you a free sample booklet that has swatches of all the batting types they offer so you can touch and see the differences in loft,etc.. The customer service employee that answered the phone asked me if I was in a guild to which I replied, Yes. She sent me a large bag of assorted samples to pass out to guild members. I hope you give Quilter's Dream Batting a try. Let us know what you think if you do.
    Old 01-07-2016, 04:50 AM
    Power Poster

To me, Quilter's Dream is the Cadillac of batting (being the best). The needle by hand or machine just penetrates the batting so smoothly like a hot knife going thru butter. But I use mostly Hobbs 80/20 batting due to the cost and quality for machine quilting.
    Old 01-07-2016, 04:50 AM

I purchased a queen-size roll of Quilter's Dream last year at a quilt show but I am still using up part of a roll of W&N before I tap into the QD batting. I can't wait... but I'm afraid if I don't use up the W&N... it will just sit.

I also got a sample folder containing swatches from QD at the quilt show and have kept it as it has other battings which might be useful down the road.
    Old 01-07-2016, 06:10 AM

I have a 30 yd. 90" roll of Quilters Dream Select for all my kids quilts and another roll of Hobbs 80/20 for the others. If I could afford to use QD cotton for all my quilts I would.
    Old 01-07-2016, 07:43 AM

Thank you Peckish and Ckcowl for answering my question about the batting. I am planning on going to a big quilt show in the Phoenix area and there is always a booth selling batting so I will be on the look out for the Quilters Dream. I am always trying to find new batting that I like.
    Old 01-07-2016, 06:41 PM

Onebyone, thank you for the link. Purchased some Dream Orient & signed up for emails.