Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batting questions and Longarmer's preferences >
  • Batting questions and Longarmer's preferences

• Batting questions and Longarmer's preferences

Old 06-09-2011, 07:19 AM

I have been using Warm & Natural batting and I really like it. On my last quilt, though, I tried Fairfield 80/20. I found it ok. I would like to know is there any benefit to using an 80/20 vs a 100% cotton batting.

Do longarmer's prefer to sell you the batting or does it matter if you provide your own? I've only sent two quilts to longarmers twice. One was a baby quilt and the other was a bed size (can't remember if it was full or queen) and both of those I provided the batting. They were two different quilters.

I have two large quilts that need to be quilted. I'm trying to decide if I want to use a 50% off coupon to buy batting for those quilts or if I just want to go with what the quilter offers.
    Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
    I have been using Warm & Natural batting and I really like it. On my last quilt, though, I tried Fairfield 80/20. I found it ok. I would like to know is there any benefit to using an 80/20 vs a 100% cotton batting.

Do longarmer's prefer to sell you the batting or does it matter if you provide your own? I've only sent two quilts to longarmers twice. One was a baby quilt and the other was a bed size (can't remember if it was full or queen) and both of those I provided the batting. They were two different quilters.

I have two large quilts that need to be quilted. I'm trying to decide if I want to use a 50% off coupon to buy batting for those quilts or if I just want to go with what the quilter offers.
    Why not do your price check and see where your better pricing is! And use whatever fibre and % you like best.
    Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 AM
    Power Poster

my customers usually bring batting with their quilt tops- unless they are long-distance- the customers who mail me their quilts for quilting send $$ for batting and i provide it.
    once in a while i get one in with a batt I HATE! (unfortunately usually a fairfield--not that fairfield doesn't make good batts- they do- but not all batts are good for long-arm quilting!)

if the batt is best suited for hand quilting it may not be so great for long-arm quilting-
    some of them are so fragile that just draping it across the frame causes it to pull apart- you deal with holes---i HATE IT...so when someone brings me one like that i let them know i will be replacing it with something (usable)i do not charge them for the replacement batt-since they did bring one- but i use it up some other way--or if they do want it back then they pay for the new one.

ive long-armed all kinds of batts, cotton, poly blends, bamboo, silk, wool...dream green (recycled from bottles)
    and have had wonderful outcomes from all of them-except that dog-gone one that pulls apart from it's own weight.
    Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 AM
    Banned

Discuss with your longarmer what your intended use of the quilt will be... a wallhanging, a much loved and abused child's quilt, a show quilt... she or he will be able to advise you as to the best type of batting to use for that particular need.

I personally don't much care for 100% cotton batting. It's heavy, and it doesn't show off the quilting much. I like 80/20 or 70/30 blends (Hobbs and Quilters Dream) but wool batting is my favorite. It breathes well, drapes beautifully, highlights the quilting, and these days can be washed and dried.

I carry a good variety of batting, but do require my customers to use one of my batts. They're all top quality, and I know that I won't have issues with them during the quilting process. Some longarmers will use what you bring them, some won't. Just ask :)
    Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 AM
    Power Poster

The two LAs here (they bought a machine and practice on customers quilts) use the cheapest stuff they can find. It's horrible. Stiff and scratchy. I let them baste my quilts for me but insist on them using the batting I provide. One said I was too picky about something that didn't even show in the quilt. I said I know I'm very picky that's why I only want you to baste my quilt. She just huffed and did a much better job on the basting. No puckers. LOL.
    Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 AM

Charisma offers her own batting at a very good price, but I wanted to try wool batting to see how it would look before I wrestle with it myself. So I bought a twin size and sent half with the wallhanging she quilted PERFECTLY for me. So now I have the other half for myself.
    Old 06-09-2011, 02:51 PM

I feel like the 80/20 did show off the quilting more - I can imagine what a Hobbs batt would have been like. I like the fact that I can get a good amount of W&N or W&W using a coupon.
    Old 06-09-2011, 03:03 PM
    Power Poster

I really like W&N and also I have used Quilters Dream and like it very much. The QD is light weight and has wonderful drape and softness. The W&N is a bit heavier but still a nice drape with a more solid feel. I always suggest that people use either of these because I know how they work for me. All quilters have their favorites and do their best work with them.
    peace :-D