Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • batting selection >
  • batting selection

• batting selection

Old 07-27-2010, 03:54 AM

I prefer Warm and Natual for everything.
    Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 AM

My quilting teacher who has owns a shop and has been quilting for over 26 years says DO NOT use Warm and Natural due to the dark black cotten seeds left in the fabric after processing contain oil and will eventually leak into the outer cotton material. she recommended using 80 cotton/20 poly blend. I have used Mountain mystic brand carried by Joanne and it works well. Good luck!!!!!!!
    Old 07-27-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
    My quilting teacher who has owns a shop and has been quilting for over 26 years says DO NOT use Warm and Natural due to the dark black cotten seeds left in the fabric after processing contain oil and will eventually leak into the outer cotton material. she recommended using 80 cotton/20 poly blend. I have used Mountain mystic brand carried by Joanne and it works well. Good luck!!!!!!!
    I've never noticed a problem with any of my quilts.
    Old 07-27-2010, 04:22 AM

I use warm & natural also.
    If you have alot of white fabric in your quilt I'd use warm & white.
    It doesn't have the black speces in it.
    Old 07-27-2010, 04:39 AM
    Power Poster

poly blends are great for kids quilts too, they hold up through many many washes...the dream poly is...A DREAM!
    here is a link to a site (quilting 101.com) that goes over the properties of each kind of batting and will help you decide what to try.
    www.quilting101.com/making/quilt-​batting.html
    i found this to be very informative, i hope it helps you too.
    and (just my 2cents worth) i love working with the wool batts, they are kind of on the spendy side, i would never use one in a childs quilt, i only use them in adult's special quilts i know will be taken care of. i think a childs quilt would be washed often and dragged around a good polyester batting would be a better choice. with the cost involved i would only use it in a quilt i considered an heirloom to be treated gently and not washed too often...that is just me though, i'm sure a wool batt is going to hold up well...but, since a childs quilt is going to wear out...(hopefully it is used enough) ...

check out the quilting 101 site, you will learn lots about battings :)
    Old 07-27-2010, 05:20 AM

A fan of Quilters Dream Blend (70/30) here. Use it to machine quilt on my home machine and it quilts like a dream. You can get it relatively cheap at http://www.quiltfabricstore.com
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:50 AM
    Power Poster

I would use only Hobbs wool batting because of the guarantee against shrinking, among other things. Other wool battings have been reported to shrink, smell when wet, or beard badly. Wool is nice for hand quilting. Many of my family members are allergic to wool, so I use cotton for quilts that are going to be used (especially by babies).

Other favorite battings are Hobbs 80/20 if I want a fluffy look (hand or machine quilting), and Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon cotton batting for a traditional look (but for machine quilting only, as it is hard to hand needle).

In general, for hand quilting I will not choose a batting that is needlepunched through scrim (such as Warm n Natural) because it is harder to push the needle through. I will use Warm n Natural for a wallhanging or for a tied quilt because it is very stable, but I find the drape stiffer than I like for hand or machine quilting.

Each manufacturer's website is a good resource for learning about differences in batting. Try Googling manufacturer name (Hobbs, Quilters Dream, Mountain Mist, Fairfield) along with "reviews" or "chart" to find websites that compare batting qualities.

Batting choice depends a lot on: (1) individual preference, plus (2) how the quilt is going to be finished (hand quilted, machine quilted, tied), plus (3) how the quilt is going to be used (wallhanging, utility quilt, baby quilt, bed quilt, art show quilt), plus (4) what you want the end product to look like -- crinkled and soft-looking like antique quilts, fluffy "comforter" style, or modern wallhanging style with well-defined quilting lines.
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:57 AM

I nearly always use Quilter's Dream for baby quilts. Nice and soft. . .and holds up well through many washings :)
    Old 07-27-2010, 08:35 AM
    Power Poster

I like warm and natural. I have used poly too. I just like the feel of warm and natural.