Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batting >
  • Batting

• Batting

Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 AM

Fairly new to quilting (only completed 3) and have always used polester filling. Just recently I was told I should be using 100% cotton. Then someone else told me that fleese material works just as well as 100% cotton & when on sale is cheater than the 100% cotton. I do not machine quilt my tops yet but wondering about what your opinions are on 100% cotton VS the fleese batting
    Old 06-24-2011, 07:31 AM

I prefer batting to fleece. If you live in a very cold area especially during the winter, you may want to use the fleece. I have used polyester, poly-cotton and 100% cotton batting and like using them all. For children's and charity quilts, poly works best. For special heirloom quilts and special gifts, I use cotton. For table runners and table toppers and wallhangins, I prefer to use the polyester and poly-cotton. Some people will make a flannel top and use fleece to back it. No issues or problems. It is up to you to decide what you want to use for your projects keeping in mind how much use they will receive.
    Old 06-24-2011, 07:33 AM
    Power Poster

They all will work well, I choose batting according to how I want the finished quilt to look. Poly for puffier quilts, cotton or cotton/poly for a flatter look.

Batting has different quilting requirements, so depending on how close or distant I want the quilting, I choose the batting accordingly.

Using fleece instead of batting, doesn't require any quilting, it is stable on it's own, the same with flannel, a wool blanket or other items that have been traditionally used in place of traditional batting.

Many of these were tied, but can be quilted too, just make a sample sandwich to see how you like hand quilting them, or how your machine likes them :D:D:D
    Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM
    Power Poster

Oh dear! you've already met the Quilt Police. You can use polyester for a puffier quilt. You can use cotton or cotton blend for a flatter look. There are no rules on what you should be putting in the middle for batt. Work with whatever you like the look of and is easiest for you to quilt with. Every batt usually comes with instructions for how far apart your quilting lines can be for their products, just follow their guidelines.You will find on this board that everyone has their own preferences with what fabric and batting they use.
    Old 06-24-2011, 08:33 AM

Call me out of date, but I'm not a fan of the crinkly, old fashioned look, so I prefer not to use cotton batting. I like the slight puff of polyester. When I did a cotton/poly batting because the quilt was going to the a hot climate (Brhan), I washed the batting first so the quilt won't crinkle when my grandson washes it. I also don't quilt mine heavily. I like soft. It's what feels right to you!
    Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 AM

I've made one quilt with a fleece blanket as both backing and batting. I simply quilted the top to the blanket. My son loves this quilt, and it does drape nicely and "snuggles" him. However, I don't brag about it because The Quilt Police will come and take me away.

Use whatever you like best and gives you the results you want. If someone tells you that you did it wrong, simply look at them and say "And?" to every statement they make. It should only take 2 or 3 "ands" for them to get the hint and shut up. :)
    Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 AM

Oh, Peckish, I have to remember that advice! It must work really well (unless the other person is completely dense).
    Old 06-24-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish

Use whatever you like best and gives you the results you want. If someone tells you that you did it wrong, simply look at them and say "And?" to every statement they make. It should only take 2 or 3 "ands" for them to get the hint and shut up. :)

I'm with you, Peggi!! Whatever you want to do is fine. It's YOUR quilt. The only time it matters what is used is when it's going to be judged. The judges are very strict. They're the only ones allowed to be "quilt police"!! LOL :thumbup: ;)
    Old 06-24-2011, 09:01 AM

It's your quilt! I use Hobbs 80/20 and sometimes Warm & Natural batting because I live in Texas and even in the winter a quilt with the top, fleece for batting, and then a backing would probably be more quilt than I would need. Now out in the Texas Panhandle I might need one that warm. As others have stated on this board there are no quilt police except as stated by Janice "quilt judges."

mltquilt
    Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM

I agree--use what you like! Personally, I try to avoid synthetic materials, so it's all cotton or cotton/bamboo blends for me. But that works for us, because our bedroom never gets nice and cold in the winter the way we like it (though the downstairs is always nice and meat-lockery! :roll: ). A poly batting would be very uncomfortable in our house. I also like my hand-quilting to show, and I feel like the crinkly look of cotton helps highlight it.

So yeah, do what you want! I've even heard of people using old comforters for high-loft batting.