Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batting >
  • Batting

• Batting

Old 03-08-2014, 08:30 AM

I buy by the yard, but when I get a larger room, I'll buy by the bolt, here's a site (http://www.batt-mart.com/)that has just about any kind of batting you want, and has good prices, and some of the batting has free shipping.
    Old 03-08-2014, 08:42 AM

One of the many nice things about buying on a roll is you have less crinkling to undo. It's definitely an inexpensive way to go. The down side is the larger up-front "investment," which for most people limits the variety of battings you can buy.

I love Hobbs 80/20 and Hobbs Poly (6 and 9 oz)... I buy from http://Heartbeatquilting.com. If you go through them, make sure and CALL for shipping costs. Their web site is connected to PayPal, which understates the shipping.
    Old 03-08-2014, 09:11 AM
    Power Poster

I hit the estate sales when I can. I go for the batting and material first. I usually do a quick run through the estate then go back. One sale was having a bag sale. small bags were $2.00, med $3.00. large $4.00 and xlg $5.00. I stuffed 3 large bags of batting stuffed into one xlg. (garbage/leaf size). You had to be able to carry out with no assistance. If I had to pay $5.00 for each bag of batting it would've still been a good deal. As it was, I walked out with about 30 yds of just material exclusive of the batting for $4.00. The $4.00 bag was the size of a large 13 gal kitchen trash bag. Did not realize it was last hour of the sale also. When I fill the bags, I try to fold neatly as flat as possible. I feel you always get more. I also check out the coupons on JoAnn's (on their mailing and email list). And Hancock's. You just need to keep your eye on the look out.
    Old 03-08-2014, 09:15 AM
    Power Poster

I didn't know it came on a roll. I had a pkg of fusible that wouldn't pull apart when removed from the package. I spent over an hour slowly pulling it apart. almost made it and a hole tore. talk about frustrated. I took it all back to Hobby Lobby and told them it had to be old. it shouldn't have stuck together like that. I'm in non humid Colorado by the way. they wouldn't refund me, so I let the clerk have the batting! then emailed Hobbs. weeks later they sent me two packages. nice of them to do!! I still like the fusible but probably wouldn't buy rolls of it.
    Old 03-08-2014, 09:45 AM

I buy some by the roll and some by the yard, but rarely by the package. That is, except at estate and garage sales, which is where I get the best deal. I have gotten Hobbs wool and another brand of cashmere at garage sales.
    Old 03-08-2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I used to buy my Hobbs 80/20 fusible at Michaels with a 50% off coupon. They no longer stock the fusible batts at my Canadian store!
    I would buy a package of batting at Michael's using a 40 or 50% off coupon whenever I went to the city. Last week when I was in, they only had crib size (in cotton) and no shelf spaces for larger sizes. They did have lots of poly batts - I hope this doesn't mean they are going to stop carrying the cotton batting!!!!!
    But I noticed that the store also has almost no sewing related items and even less quilting related stuff.
    Old 03-08-2014, 10:40 PM

I always bought it by the piece (especially when Joann's had queen size warm & natural for about $8 once) but the last time I bought a partial roll.
    Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 AM

I only buy what I use, so that means generally packages. before i found Quilters Dream, i used Warm and Natural - that was easy to sew the smaller pieces into larger ones.
    Old 03-09-2014, 03:33 AM

I have buying by the roll since 2011- I bought it during a huge sale at Joanne's one holiday with the additional 25 percent off the half price off price. I am now on my second roll. It may seem like a lot when you first purchase it, But it lasts a long time. I store mine in the cellar on a wooden dowl and hang from the ceiling. Easy to roll the batting off and cut.
    Old 03-10-2014, 05:56 AM

When I buy full roll batting I store it on the back side of the bed in the spare room. No one sees it there, not much company in there anyway, might as well use the space.