Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batting >
  • Batting

• Batting

Old 03-10-2014, 06:37 AM

I like to buy W&N by the roll when I have a 50% coupon, or find it on sale for 50%. I buy the 90 inch wide so I can cut and/or piece to exactly what I need.
    Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM
    I would buy a package of batting at Michael's using a 40 or 50% off coupon whenever I went to the city. Last week when I was in, they only had crib size (in cotton) and no shelf spaces for larger sizes. They did have lots of poly batts - I hope this doesn't mean they are going to stop carrying the cotton batting!!!!!
    But I noticed that the store also has almost no sewing related items and even less quilting related stuff.
    The Michael's store in my area does not carry any kind of materials. I called once about quilting rulers and was told yes they had them. When I got there the rulers were not for quilters. I go to Hobby Lobby or Joanne's with coupons.
    Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 AM

Joann's is selling rolls of soft'ncrafty or pellon natural cotton 25 yd for 99.99 or 20 yd rolls of polyester batting for 29.99 this week from 13-16. If anyone uses these be there early.
    Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM
    Power Poster

I usually wait until the batting goes on sale for 40-50% off at JoAnn's, and then I would buy 2-4 batts, depending on what I had at home. However, when I was doing a lot more quilting than I am right now, I would buy the "box" of 4 king size, or 6 queen size Warm& Natural batting from Hancock's of Paducah, as it was a lot cheaper and economical.
    Old 03-10-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow
    Do you buy your batting by the roll (30 yards) or by the yard? I've started using the Hobbs fusible and I think I can get it for $5.16 a yard if I buy the whole thing. Seems like a good deal. I paid $16 for a queen size piece from Connecting Threads when they had a sale. Where do you buy yours? What do you like the best?
    Boy, you ladies are lucky. I live in Northern Ontario in Canada & it cost $80.00 for a queen size pkg. of Warm & Natural. I only buy it when Fabricland has their 1/2 price sale but that's still $40.00 !! I did finally take the plunge & order some when Connecting Threads had their batting sale & saved a bundle & only $7.99 for shipping (over $50.00) . On sale it was only $14.00 compared to our 1/2 price of $40.00. I'm sure you can guess where I will buy it in the future !!!
    Old 03-10-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    If you buy a roll then actual yardage is a bit cheaper. I do not use fusible because I have a longarm. I purchase my batting rolls from Marshall's Dry Goods in Batesville, Arkansas.
    I have often looked at their batting by the roll, but I am so confused by the way they sell it. Can you explain to me what a comparable batting would be if I were to buy the 6 ounce, 8 ounce, etc? I would love to buy a roll, it would save me a ton of money in the long run...is there a chart somewhere on line?