Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batting >
  • Batting

• Batting

Old 09-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Which is the best, and do you prefer 100% cotton, which battings should i never buy
    Old 09-07-2010, 03:17 PM
    Power Poster

I only use polyester batting, doesn't shrink, I've made lots of quilts using it and I like everything about it.
    Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 PM
    Power Poster

I like Hobbs Heirloom Premium Cotton Batting (80% cotton 20% Polyester. I order it online from Connecting Threads.
    http://www.ConnectingThreads.com
    Old 09-07-2010, 03:21 PM

I haven't quilted enough to recommend anything, but I will be watching (and learning) with you! And, the baby is adorable!!!
    Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM

I use the same batting and get it from Connecting Threads. They have a great sale now and then and when you order $50 it is free shipping. I have been using the Thermore for hand quilting. It is really thin almost like not having any batting at all...but sure easy to hand quilt. I heard their wool batting is great for hand quilting. But if machine quilting the 80/20 percent polyester is the best!
    Old 09-07-2010, 03:30 PM
    Power Poster

you should buy every batting you come across and try them all! i cut a little 6" square from my battings and document the name of it, any characteristics, its laundering instructions, price, where it came from...i have about 60 swatches now.after i use it i also add anything about that...if i hated it, if i loved it...whatever...that way i can check if i'm seeing one on sale and i don't remember if i've used it i can check my little book, and if i hated it i can see that too...and i will tell you, batting is as personal a choice as anything else...there is one batting on the market that i have heard lots of quilters rave about and me? I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!!! so, i would not tell you which one you should get. i will tell you this, you should always purchase the best quality you can afford. The warm company has very good products as does the dream batting. my absolute fave's are..warm & natural; dream poly; dream wool; dream cotton; dream bamboo; hobbs supreme heirloom. i'm not going to say the ones i hate...some people love them...and some probably hate some of my faves.
    Old 09-07-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
    I only use polyester batting, doesn't shrink, I've made lots of quilts using it and I like everything about it.
    Me too. I only make quilts for my family to use and the quilts are washed a lot. Poly washes easily and costs less too.
    Old 09-07-2010, 03:34 PM

I only use Warm & Natural or Warm & White, which is all cotton and needled. You can quilt it up to 10" apart, and it shrinks with the fabric giving a nice look. I don't use polyester at all...some people use it, and that is their choice.
    Old 09-07-2010, 03:39 PM

I do like the all cotton...I don't like the puffiness of polyester. Like my quilts more flat! Especially when I lean towards more primitive quilts.
    Old 09-07-2010, 03:55 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
    I only use Warm & Natural or Warm & White, which is all cotton and needled. You can quilt it up to 10" apart, and it shrinks with the fabric giving a nice look. I don't use polyester at all...some people use it, and that is their choice.
    Same goes for me. I like the feel of W&N but am planning to try some variety from the Hobbs line when I run out of my batting stash.