Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batting tape vs fusible interfacing >
  • Batting tape vs fusible interfacing

• Batting tape vs fusible interfacing

Old 02-28-2022, 07:30 PM

Question Batting tape vs fusible interfacing

I'm doing a project where I should fuse my backing together between blocks. I usually use batting tape. What are your thoughts to just using fusible interfacing? Isn't it pretty much the same? Only you have to cut it.

Last edited by berrynice; 02-28-2022 at 07:34 PM.
    Old 03-01-2022, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by berrynice
    I'm doing a project where I should fuse my backing together between blocks. I usually use batting tape. What are your thoughts to just using fusible interfacing? Isn't it pretty much the same? Only you have to cut it.
    Thats all I’ve ever used, never tried the tape. I use the lightweight, iron on…works fine for me.
    Old 03-01-2022, 04:54 AM

I use the tape but when it's gone will use the interfacing. Much cheaper and really the same thing.
    Old 03-01-2022, 05:42 AM

Interesting question. Thank you. I always have fusible interfacing but run out of batting tape. Never even crossed my mind to use interfacing the same way. Great idea.
    Old 03-01-2022, 06:32 AM

Don't know what you are doing, but if you use the interfacing and place on stitching over it, just make sure it is the kind that is meant to be stitched on as some adhesives will gum up your needle and be hard to stitch over. I get so confused when I go in to buy interfacing because there are just so many kinds.
    Old 03-01-2022, 08:33 AM
    Power Poster

Both work the same. The tape is more convenient. .
    Old 03-01-2022, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup
    Don't know what you are doing, but if you use the interfacing and place on stitching over it, just make sure it is the kind that is meant to be stitched on as some adhesives will gum up your needle and be hard to stitch over. I get so confused when I go in to buy interfacing because there are just so many kinds.
    I usually always do Quilt As You Go. If I use sashing on both sides I have no need to 'connect' the batting. But when I do it without sashing, then the batting butts together and you either need to use something to join the batting together, or sew them together with a whip stitch. Using the tape is so much easier and neater than the sewing and less time consuming, I think. Now, since learning that the fusible interfacing will work (as being pretty much the same thing - thanks posters!), then I will start using that. It is so much cheaper than buying the batting tape, usage wise. I am so looking forward to using it without ever buying the batting tape again.

Basically I use Pellon 911FF Fusible Featherweight. It is a fusible featherweight, and I think will work nicely without adding bulk.

I also use the same Pellon 911FF when making appliques (I don't leave raw edges) I basically cut it to the size/shape I need, Sew it to the right side of the fabric with the fusible side facing in to the right side of the fabric. I then make a small slit in the center of the interfacing and then turn the whole thing inside out so that the right side of the fabric is now on the outside and the fusible side of the interfacing is facing to the outside now too. Then I iron it onto my quilt and then sew around the applique. That way, I don't have raw edges on my applique, plus, I don't have to try to turn under tiny seams around the edges of the applique.

Last edited by berrynice; 03-01-2022 at 10:29 AM.
    Old 03-02-2022, 02:30 AM

That’s exactly how I do my appliqué ! I just have to be careful that the interfacing doesn’t peek out the edges, as I hand sew after pressing.
    Old 03-02-2022, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid
    That’s exactly how I do my appliqué ! I just have to be careful that the interfacing doesn’t peek out the edges, as I hand sew after pressing.
    Nice! So much easier, too!
    Old 03-03-2022, 05:17 AM

I use the cheapest fusible interfacing I can find, Pellon 906FF, I cut it into strips and iron it on. I've never had a problem with it lifting and coming apart.