Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • batting, thick or thin? >
  • batting, thick or thin?

• batting, thick or thin?

Old 11-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Red face batting, thick or thin?

I went to a quilt show this weekend and I noticed most of the quilts were machine quilted and the batting seamed very thin and you could tell most were longarm quilted, they were very pretty but I couln't get over the thin batting almost like no batting.I've been to many quilt show and I don't remember such thin batting. thank you bignan1935
    Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 AM

I love to hand quilt and will be using thin batting on my next quilt. The last quilt show I attended were as you described: machine quilted, thin batting and beautiful. I feel that the machine quilting and the hand quilted should be in different categories.
    Old 11-08-2011, 08:19 AM

Warm and Natural is pretty thin and is easier to use when machine quilting. However, I like the puffiness of low loft poly batting. If I'm going to tie a throw it doesn't matter if I use low loft or high other than high makes the throw too warm usually.
    Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 AM

I discovered this just a few months ago when I grabbed my batting roll to ready a quilt. I happened to have batting set aside for this quilt but wasn't enough. So I went to Joann's and bought more, thinking it was the same. I was shocked to find out it's approx. 1/2 the thickness (like 1/8" thick) of the previously bought batting. So I went back and found the thicker batting, only to find out it was $15.99 a yard whereas the thinner bat was, I think, $11.99. Thank God I had a 50% coupon. I bought what I needed for this quilt but guess future quilts will be, what I call, this summer-weight bat.

I don't care much for polyester batting because of all the tiny fibers that fly around when you start cutting it but that's my personal preference. I DO like the puffiness of poly bat -- just don't like to work with it for that one reason.
    Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 AM
    Banned

the more quilting they do, the flatter/thinner that quilt will be....
    Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Good answer Jacquie!!! I am a Long Arm quilter, a lot of us prefer wool batting for show quilts. The wool is heaven to quilt through (just like butter). Wool hangs nicely and doesn't hold creases when folded for shipping show to show. When buying batting, pay attention to the different lofts because it all looks the same. No matter what loft, if it's quilted to death (heavy) it will appear thin.
    Old 11-16-2011, 08:42 AM

I never thought about that-- that being that the more quilting the thinner the quilt will look/
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:25 AM
    Banned

PROBABLY because they were quilted to an inch of their lives, this make them thin and mat like, yuck.
    Old 11-16-2011, 10:50 AM

I don't like the really thin batting. I had a look at wool batting the other day and can't wait to use it. Lately I have been hand quilting my quilts.

My sister brought a quilt top (I made the quilt top)to a longarm quilter and I hid my disappointment when they showed me how thin the batting was. It was about the thickness of 2 pieces of flannel. I don't think my sister will like it because the quilting won't show.
    Old 11-16-2011, 06:15 PM

What batting is best for warmth? thickness? I still am trying to firgue the batting thing out! I have used many types and honestly don't see hardly any diffrence if any. I do see a lot of quilts that are quilted to an inch of their life. While it looks pretty, doesn't give me that warm and cuddly feeling.