Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bearding problem >
  • Bearding problem

• Bearding problem

Old 05-26-2013, 10:48 AM

I just looked through the hobbs's website and see absolutely nothing about right side/wrong side of any of their batts.
    I've never seen it on labels either. I'd really appreciate some documentation, until I do, I'll consider it myth.

The only quilt I've had beard is now about 20 years old a scrappy gift. Over the years I've picked off a ton of bearding, which only occurrs on some of the fabric. Visual tells me it is the looser woven fabric bearding. Many expensive homespuns are loosely woven and they cost plenty so 'cheap' isn't the problem
    Old 05-26-2013, 11:10 AM

I am researching wool bat construction online and apparently the Dream Wool is bonded on one surface side whereas the Hobbs Wool is bonded throughout so there would not be a good and bad side with the Hobbs...

I will call these companies on Tuesday to get more info.

But for now I am off to do my double layer wrong sides together experiment with my Dreamwool.

Lainey
    Old 05-26-2013, 11:30 AM

"wrong sides" out or "right sides" out, makes no difference, they both beard like mad
    Old 05-26-2013, 11:30 AM

I have had bearding on a quilt using polyester batting. The quilt was comprised of darks and black on top and black on bottom. Utilizing black batting might have made it less noticeable. Possibly very tightly woven fabrics might have been the answer. Sure, one wants to be proactive in their planning, eh?
    Old 05-26-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by adamae
    I have had bearding on a quilt using polyester batting. The quilt was comprised of darks and black on top and black on bottom. Utilizing black batting might have made it less noticeable. Possibly very tightly woven fabrics might have been the answer. Sure, one wants to be proactive in their planning, eh?
    Same here. I used a fabric shaver on this quilt two months ago to remove the pills and need to do it again. Both sides of the quilt have pills. One side is med/dark and the other side is light. It was hand quilted, and the lady insisted on using her own batt because "the needle goes through easier." AUGH!
    Old 05-26-2013, 04:26 PM

It seems to me that Dream Wool company could WARN about bearding with wool batting and dark backings. Telling you after the quilt is complete is like closing the barn door after the cows get out.
    Old 05-26-2013, 04:58 PM

I have decided to redo three out of my five Dream Wool quilts and switch to Hobbs...

Yikes!

Lainey
    Old 05-27-2013, 03:31 AM

www.how-to-quilt.com/articles/3014-batting-bearding.php I researched the Internet after seeing all your comments. This link may answer some of your questions...other web sites may provide extra answers. I recently did a quilt with black print fabric used as sashing on the front and as the backing. I used 80/20 batting and there were no bearding problems. I have been using topstitch needles for FMG, if this does make a difference.
    Old 05-27-2013, 04:45 AM

Lainey, you might try anti-static spray on the quilts to see if that helps with the bearding. It sure beats redoing the quilts.

Janet
    Old 05-27-2013, 05:12 AM
    Power Poster

Can't help here! Don't use wool because of allergies to it. Makes me itch. What about taking a vacuum sweeper to get the excess fibers out. When I do have to use wool, I prewash the material on gentle and toss in the dryer on low and use couple dryer sheets. I prefer light weight flannel or light loft for my quilts.