Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bed Sheets >
  • Bed Sheets

• Bed Sheets

Old 05-25-2013, 01:42 PM

I have made 2 whole cloth quilts that I designed the pattern for each. I used a sheet for the top and bottom, hand quilted both without any problem. Both quilts were king size. I have never understood all the talk of to use or not to use sheets in quilting. I've had sheets that have lasted many years. Why would it not last as long in a quilt. I always have a sheet between the sleeper and my quilts, so my thinking is the sheet linning for the quilt will last as long as the top.
    Old 05-25-2013, 01:47 PM

I think I've read that you should use a certain thread count to make quilting easier. Not sure what that is now. I remember on here or maybe another board someone said that a real quilt does not have a sheet for backing. LMAO. Quilt police are everywhere.

I've been on the hunt for vintage sheets to use but have had no luck. I think every other quilter in my area has the same idea and got there before I did.
    Old 05-25-2013, 01:49 PM

It's your quilt - you can use what you want. That is a good thing. Try it see if it gives you the look and finish you want.
    Old 05-25-2013, 04:22 PM

I use sheets all the time, no one but me evens knows as most of mine are gifted to non quilters. Never had a problem. I have a few thrift stores I always stop by to look specifically for sheets, also at garage sales. I rarely spend more than 3.00 for one, very inexpensive backing, more money for fabric. don't tell anyone one but I've been known to cut up a white sheet to use in a top if I am out of white and can't get to a store. In my scrappy series I have been posting some of the white patches are sheeting. Can you tell which or did you notice?
    Old 05-25-2013, 05:10 PM

In quilting these days you will hear lots of you CAN'T do ........ or you MUST do .......

Now, think about women on the wagon train. They made quilts with whatever. We can, too.

Try things. See what you like and what works for you. Just because someone else doesn't like it means nothing.
    Old 05-25-2013, 05:15 PM

I have used sheets on my quilts and have not had a problem with ma hine quilting on my Emerald 118. I look for 100% cotton 250 thread count or less. Walmart has solid colors for $15 for king size sheet. Works great for a full/ queen quilt.
    Old 05-25-2013, 05:37 PM

Sheets would be more difficult to hand quilt through, but they do work fine for machine quilting.
    Old 05-25-2013, 05:42 PM

I sure wish I knew where I got the "rules" from! I remember being told NEVER use sheets to back a quilt, but I'll be darned if I can remember why! and I'll bet it's the same source that told me NOT to starch fabric ! I just tried starch and holy cow, what a difference...if I get the same level of results from using sheets.....Whooo Boy!
    Old 05-25-2013, 06:12 PM

I do remember where I heard the "rule" about never using sheets. It was at a class at a quilt shop. Hmmm? I've never tried using one for a quilt, but when I first got my quilting machine I used sheets with batting between them for practicing/learning before I quilted a pieced quilt and they worked well.
    Old 05-25-2013, 06:32 PM

Thank you so much for posting this. I have often wondered the same thing but have also heard that using sheets is a big no-no. I am going to try it. I do have one old sheet that I bought for 2$. brand new about 40 years ago (honest) and it is still in good shape. It is now retired but if it lasted this long sheets must be ok for quilts.