Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bed Sheets >
  • Bed Sheets

• Bed Sheets

Old 05-25-2013, 06:47 PM

Me, too! I shop for flannel sheets at the end of the winter season and get sets - twin, full, queen or king - at very reasonable prices. Plus I get a pillow case or two to go with the quilts that are backed with the sheets.

The fitted sheet can be 'unfitted' by taking out the elastic and the darts that 'fit' the sheet, then squaring the sheet. The pillow cases can be cut apart (easier for me than using the seam ripper) and then used with the rather large scraps left after squaring the fitted sheet to make another backing.

I've picked up some sheets at Goodwill and used them for backing, too. When I do that, I make sure to thoroughly examine them for soiling and stains before I purchase them. I learned to do that the HARD way!
    Old 05-25-2013, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj
    I use sheets a lot. wash first to get sizing out I use 200-250 thread count and have no problem.
    I would like to try sheets but can't find single sheets anywhere. Where do you find single sheets to use?
    Old 05-25-2013, 07:50 PM

I used flannel sheets to back a lot of quilts that I made. None of them were any trouble to use. I think their are people who just think you should use some expensive fabric for the backs. I bought sheets at the sheet places in Long Island, NY. Sent lots home and used til all gone.
    Old 05-25-2013, 07:51 PM

I'm another one that uses sheets all the time. Works just fine and I love them because they are big enough without having to piece them .
    Old 05-25-2013, 11:21 PM

Not too long ago there was a thread on this topic. There were mixed opinions. I quilted a quilt with a sheet back on my LA with disasterous results.

My suggestion, make a quilt sandwich (use 100% cotton) sample and give it a try. If you like the results-go for it.
    Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 AM
    Gay

I mostly use inexpensive sheets that are 80%cotton with 20% polyester, and find them excellent to use, and feel lovely and soft. I have quilted using a tougher 60% poly sheet and it was awful, with no give and it kept skipping stitches. Mytwo-needle coverstitch machine won't sew that fabric at all, it's like parachute fabric. Had a call from the owner of that quilt last night. She washed the quilt and found the poly backing is pilling, so now is wanting it replaced, or covered up.
    Old 05-26-2013, 03:53 AM
    Power Poster

Sheets work great no matter if you are hand or machine quilting. I have never had a problem. You can also get some "like new" sheets at thrift stores or yard sales that are very reasonable. If they are washed and look good, what difference does it make. IMHO
    Old 05-26-2013, 04:01 AM

Do what you can afford...lower thread count sheets are very reasonably priced and some nice ones, barely used are available at thrift stores. They work fine. Do wash new flannel sheets before using them as they may shrink. Do what YOU want, never mind the naysayers.
    Old 05-26-2013, 04:17 AM

My maternal grandmother used sheets all the time. I have a quilt that she gave me 40 years ago and the back is holding up a lot better than the pieced top.

Of course, back then, the sheets were all cotton.

I just recently used my Joann's coupon to buy cute fleece to back two baby quilts. I like using alternative materials for backing. I have found that the backings take more abuse that the tops especially the lap/snuggle quilts since there's no sheets between them and the people using them.
    Old 05-26-2013, 04:18 AM

P.S. I'm not a long arm quilter, but if you send your quilts to a long arm quilter, please check with them first before choosing a backing fabric.