Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bed Sheets >
  • Bed Sheets

• Bed Sheets

Old 05-26-2013, 04:41 AM

Two of my granddaughters each made a "2 sheet quilt" as listed in the 4-H program of things that can be entered in the 4-H Fair. They didn't use sheets because they wanted animal fabric, but sheets were acceptable and expected. We have pictures of three generations making the ties in their family room on my big quilt frame: myself, my daughter and her two daughters, all gathered around one quilt. It was a group effort and fun.

When it came to doing the bindings, Gina said, "Do I have to sew by hand?" She did, and when she saw all the other quilts at the fair, she said, "Now I see why I need to sew by hand."

BTW, they both got blue ribbons!
    Old 05-26-2013, 05:14 AM

Being a longarm quilter I have a few customers who bring sheets for the backing of their quilts. I , nor my machine, have any problem with quilting with the sheets. My job is to quilt, not to criticize. I do find that if an older sheet is used that has been washed a lot, the back stitches look a lot better than if a newer sheet is used. I find even a newer sheet that has been washed will not let the machine stitches "sink" in, they tend to lay on top even with a lot of adjusting of the machine's tension. In my oppinion, it is the tension concern that mashine quilters have, which hand quilters do not need to face. Just my two cents worth.
    Old 05-26-2013, 05:25 AM

It is more stressful to your hand to attempt to hand quilt on sheets for reason of the high thread count. There's no problem when doing machine quilting. 100% cotton sheets are best.
    Old 05-26-2013, 05:38 AM

I had heard, the reason NOT to use sheets is due to the higher thread count, that the quilting can't go through the threads, so it breaks them, and it time that will start to show. So if you use sheets, the lower thread count would be better. I don't know if tis is true, just what I was told.
    Old 05-26-2013, 05:42 AM

I have been using sheets as backing for several years, and get along fine. I either tie or hand quilt my tops. When I started in guild 9 yrs. ago, it was "preached" not to use sheets, but to go buy more fabric for the back. We just happened to have a quilt shop in town then. Well, that worked for awhile, but it wasn't so much that there was something wrong with using sheets as it was to support the quilt shop. Now the guild says it is fine to use sheets. I think it is something that "comes and goes." Guess it has "come" again now! Mariah.
    Old 05-26-2013, 05:43 AM

Here is another thread on this same topic. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t109746.html
    Old 05-26-2013, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Marilynsue
    I would like to try sheets but can't find single sheets anywhere. Where do you find single sheets to use?
    Today's KMArt flyer on page 22 lists twin size flat or fitted Canon 200 thread count sheets as costing $5.99. Our KMart also has online ordering, so if you're not near a KMart, maybe you could check online. They state there are up to 15 colors available. Happy shopping!
    Old 05-26-2013, 05:53 AM

I use sheets alot, have no problems quilting with them and they wear better than muslin.
    Old 05-26-2013, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Marilynsue
    I would like to try sheets but can't find single sheets anywhere. Where do you find single sheets to use?
    Wal Mart has single sheets and they are very reasonable and in many colors. We have a craftmatic bed that takes XLT sheets and so I make my own fitted bottom sheets and buy the matching King for the top. I just wish you could still find the wonderful print sheets we used to be able to buy.
    Guess I may have to start doing yard/estate sales around here, you never know so many estate sales, found my DH cotton PJ's still in bag new for $1.50 and it is hard to buy that kind any more. Lots of estate sales here in FL.

Last edited by Carol34446; 05-26-2013 at 05:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    Old 05-26-2013, 06:12 AM

To Petthefabric: Could you share what disastrous results you experienced? (and hello from a former Fresno hometowner)
    Thanks
    Susan