Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Begginers quilting class? >
  • Begginers quilting class?

• Begginers quilting class?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:26 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by krysti
    Have you thought about a Craftsy class? I am currently taking Quilting Quickly and also Machine Quilting. Both are regularly $59.99 but I got them half price. The thing I like about those classes is I can view them as many times as I want to; whenever I want to and can ask questions as well. Having 5 children at home does not really allow me to be able to go to a class at a specific time or day, so this is what works great for me. Individual preferences, of course.
    I use www.craftsy.com all the time. You can get their classes for as low as $15.99. Just write them and ask them if you can take them for whatever amount of money you can afford. They always say yes. They want to teach people. They also have a free class there. It's a BOM. You do two blocks a month. They do videos and once you pay for them, they are yours forever. Check it out!
    Old 03-29-2012, 03:05 PM

I agree, you learn lots of new things in a class that you don't always on your own, also projects get done faster at least for me anyways. Plus you have fun and meet lots of new quilting friends that can also help you. I think they are worth the money especially when you are a beginner you learn new tips and techniques that might make things easier for you .
    Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM

It is a lot but depending on what they are teaching it may be worth it for a beginner. If you can find a guild in your area hat mey better suit your needs. I have learned so much from fellow guild members. Also, check out a few guilds before you join. They all run their meetings differently. Some more formal and a lot of business. Others just lots of fun with some classes at bargain basement prices.

Good luck which ever way you decide. Can't go wrong as long as you enjoy it.
    Old 03-29-2012, 05:34 PM

Wow that is high $120 for the class. The shop where I work at is $50, for four week plus material and supplies.
    Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

I agree that it seems expensive. I also agree that it depends on what is included, both in fabric and in instructor time. Some instruction is quite inexpensive, if you happen to be at the right place. My guild charges $5/year. However, if it includes basiv tools and the fabric for a nice project, that could be a very reasonable price. Assuming, that you like the project they are going to make. My LQS charges $25 per class, without fabric (the fee goes to the instructor), so one could easily spend $200 for a multi-class project, with good quality fabric. My guild has 2 sessions a week, with nearly every experienced quilter ready and able to assist/teach. Some are not nearly that helpful. Some are downright unfriendly, I've heard. Ask around and see what's available, but that class may b e your best bet. My guild also has overnight retreats ($5) twice a year with lots of fun and projects. Something like thatmight b e available to you. Other guilds near me charge $50-75 for the same thing.