Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Beginner machine? >
  • Beginner machine?

• Beginner machine?

Old 11-07-2012, 05:46 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I just bought a Pfaff Ambition 1.5 and it has the bigger throat and so glad I did it has an 8 inch throat .. But I still wish I would of went with the 11 inch throat for quilting .. Just an thought for you ...
    Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 AM

Can't go wrong with Janomes. Allbrands.com has several in your price range. here is a link to a computerized machine, free shpiping, no tax....it is a few dollars more, but worth it. Good luck.For got the link,,,go to allbrands.com and type in 8077 the model number. it is $249. Compare the features and remember that Janomes are a better made machine with a good warranty. Allbrands back there machines whereas WalMart would be difficult to deal with if you have a problem with the Singer. I have purchase four different machines from Allbrands for my daughters and we have been very satisfied.
    Diana in TX

Last edited by Lady Diana; 11-07-2012 at 06:34 AM.
    Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 AM

My best friend has that machine by Singer and loves it.
    Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by LoupEsprit
    As of right now, I have no sewing machine at all. I do EVERYTHING by hand, and actually like doing it that way. BUT I know once I get into quilting, I will get to certain points where I will want a machine (like the actual quiliting part!).

I don't want anything too fancy or expensive; basically something cheap(ish) that will get the job done if I don't ask too much! Is this a 'decent' machine to start with? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Con...chine/17167244

Thanks!
    Keep an eye on Craigslist. I've picked up a couple simple machines for $25 each. Generally they are heavier and sturdier than a cheap new one. They can have problems, but then I've had a new one blow up on me too.
    Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 AM

The 'throat' area is actually called the 'harp.' Don't know why; that's just the term.

I would respectfully steer you toward a vintage machine like a Singer 15, 99 or 66. You should be able to get one for under $150 in excellent condition, and it will last you for many years to come, unlike the 'white plastic wonders' that are available for a similar price.
    Old 11-07-2012, 07:53 AM

I have a Kenmore from Sears. It is a work horse and never let me down. I had it serviced once just to get it delinted and oiled ($69.00) and I know they'll be around if I do have a problem.
    Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM

I have a Bernina machine but I also have a lightweight Brother that I bought first to see whether I would really like quilting. The Brother is very nice and weighs only 11 pounds. I bought it from Wal*Mart.
    Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 AM

That machine looks like a great deal...has needle up/down and speed control...and Janome is an excellent brand.

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
    Can't go wrong with Janomes. Allbrands.com has several in your price range. here is a link to a computerized machine, free shpiping, no tax....it is a few dollars more, but worth it. Good luck.For got the link,,,go to allbrands.com and type in 8077 the model number. it is $249. Compare the features and remember that Janomes are a better made machine with a good warranty. Allbrands back there machines whereas WalMart would be difficult to deal with if you have a problem with the Singer. I have purchase four different machines from Allbrands for my daughters and we have been very satisfied.
    Diana in TX
    Old 11-07-2012, 09:01 AM

If you can find a used Janome Memory Craft 3000, it is a wonderful workhorse. I've had mine for 20 years and not a lick of problems. I bought a Janome Horizon last Feb., paid a lot for it, and, although it has many nice features, the MC3000 is still my baby!
    Old 11-07-2012, 11:10 AM

I have used a Bailey successfully and without any problems. See link below:
    http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/for/3391197943.html