Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Beginner machine? >
  • Beginner machine?

• Beginner machine?

Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 PM

I bought a very nice machine-Singer-with bells and whistles at Costco-very inexpensive. I use it as a backup now but started quilting on it to begin with.
    Also check out local dealers for machines traded in and refurbished. Check out Overstock as well for refurbished and Amazon for new. Both have good prices.
    I would try to sew on any machine you buy as not all machines are created equal-and I am not talking about bells and whistles. Hight-weight-smoothness of stitches-jumpy or moving when sewing-the usual suspects.
    Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 PM

You can search for almost anything by make and model on Amazon and they almost always have buyer reviews. Learned this trick from a salesman at Sears! Then buy wherever you want!
    Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 PM

Jo Ford gave the best idea. When I started 8 years ago, I had a 1979 Sears Kenmore sewing machine. Yes it was pretty old!! So I went to Walmart and brought a Brothers machine for about $100.00. it worked and still works well. Since I hadn't used it for several years, I gave it to my daughter. 3 years ago, I graduated to Janome!!!!
    Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 PM

I have a Kenmore I bought 6 yrs ago and it works just fine for me. a bit noisy, but not bad enough to disturb my sons when they are asleep. smile.
    Old 11-07-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123
    I would look for a vintage Singer--maybe a 15-91 or a 66. Both have large throat areas and will still be sewing when we are dead and gone! The 15 is referred to as "the beast". I have both of them and love them!
    I would second this comment. We got a model 15 in a table from an antique dealer for $35. I love it.
    Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 PM

My daughter bought one of the cheaper Singers at Walmart and it's been nothing but trouble. Personally, I think they're a waste of money.

I have been buying used machines from the Goodwill website to donate to my church's charity quilting group. Those machines made in the 70s-80s are not computerized and will last you forever! The dozen or so I've bought have been fabulous machines. I especially look for White machines as they seem to sew the best.
    Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 PM

I went on www.Overstock.com and got a brother SQ 9000 with 80 stitches, computerized and quilting table for under $150 on sale, not sure exactly but it was much less than Wal Mart for same machine, I think $135. with shipping. WM wanted $199. Great little machine and not hard to use. Haven't quilted yet on it but it sews great and should work well.
    Old 11-07-2012, 06:58 PM

I have a low end Brother that I got from Costco a few years ago. It's a good little workhorse. I have some minor complaints about it ... some are user errors and others are machine. It does have a small throat which is my biggest issue when quilting. The accessory feet are pretty inexpensive, the most I've paid so far is $35 for the walking foot. When I get my new quilting machine, I will keep the Brother for a piecing/back up/travel machine.
    Old 11-07-2012, 07:21 PM

If you really want a machine that sews good, I would check for a used singer on Craig's list. These older machines are all metal and usually have a beautiful stitch. The machines you buy for $100-300 usually have plastic parts and if they break, it will cost you more than what it is worth to get it fixed. Just my opinion.
    Old 11-07-2012, 11:47 PM

i don';t know about the singer but the brother 6000i for $153 is a fabulous machine. it comes with the extension table quilting feet, 1/4 inch foot any many more things. i bought it in dec last year and have had no problems with it what so ever. lightweight computerized quilting machine, it doesn't come any better for that price point