Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Beginner, Novice or Expert >
  • Beginner, Novice or Expert

• Beginner, Novice or Expert

Old 11-29-2017, 02:12 PM
    Power Poster

Does it really matter?

Like many of you, I think I am quite competent at doing some things - there are other things - such as FMQ - that I have not even tried.

If one gets something finished, it looks good, and does not fall apart during the first washing - for me, that is adequate for now.
    Old 11-29-2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Does it really matter?
    Well, I asked because I saw some Craftsy classes I am interested in buying that are for "advanced". I put them on my wish list but was wondering when one becomes "advanced".
    Old 11-29-2017, 02:29 PM
    Power Poster

okay - I would consider "advanced" when one can do a Mariner's compass with the points coming out okay, or a drunkards path and it lays nice and flat, or a lone star without a "volcano" in the center of it.

And - are you able to understand/follow instructions? (assuming they are well-written)
    Old 11-29-2017, 02:41 PM

I don't "label" myself. For somethings, I've gotten pretty good, others - not so good. I imagine that's the same for most of us. If what I do pleases me that's enough, I was an expert at that!
    Old 11-29-2017, 02:42 PM

Hmmm. Bear has a point about instructions. I have seen quilt patterns for 'beginners' with instructions that are totally incomprehensible. I have also seen patterns listed as intermediate and even 'challenging' that are so well written, a confident beginner would have not trouble following along. It is all very subjective. Personally, I think I am an intermediate quilter who hates poorly written patterns, can usually figure things out on my own, and is willing to at least try a different concept.
    Old 11-29-2017, 02:45 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by NZquilter
    Well, I asked because I saw some Craftsy classes I am interested in buying that are for "advanced". I put them on my wish list but was wondering when one becomes "advanced".
    NZ- in that case you asked a very good question. Remember that if you buy a Craftsy class and it doesn't work for you you can get a refund. I believe you have a month (but I'm not certain of that)
    What classes are you looking at? There are loads I would like!! On Labor Day they had free viewing and I completely
    overdosed haha
    Old 11-29-2017, 02:46 PM

I consider myself a new quilter. I do not know how to paper piece, just learned some basic applique, and have been teaching myself how to fmq & use rulers. I am pretty fearless when it comes to trying new things, I did after all make a Storm at Sea on point wall hanging for my 2nd quilt and I thought it came out nice. I guess in the way of skills, I am an advanced beginner now but I am not sure what I am actually comparing to and as anyone on the board who has done a project along with me knows, I still have plenty of questions
    Old 11-29-2017, 02:51 PM
    Banned

I can understand instructions most of the time, sometimes I have to re read them a few times to "get it", especially if they're vague or over written(so detailed that every 3 steps could be written as one step).
    I can do a passable Lonestar(see my avatar) though I did become very familiar with my seam ripper a few years ago when I made several small Lonestar wall hangings. My next one will be a queen size turtle Lonestar for my son. I've not tried to do a drunkards path or a mariners compass but a storm at sea is on my bucket list.

Cari
    Old 11-29-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Does it really matter?

Like many of you, I think I am quite competent at doing some things - there are other things - such as FMQ - that I have not even tried.

If one gets something finished, it looks good, and does not fall apart during the first washing - for me, that is adequate for now.
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm not really into labels and don't really think they matter that much.
    Old 11-29-2017, 03:08 PM

I agree with Rryder. The things I like doing, I am very good at, other things, not so much.
    For a Class I will look at what I am to learn and decide if I am at that level.
    Mike