Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • beginner quilter Karen from Indiana, USA >
  • beginner quilter Karen from Indiana, USA

• beginner quilter Karen from Indiana, USA

Old 01-06-2010, 01:23 AM
    Power Poster

Hello and Welcome :D:D:D
    There are also a lot of wonderful tutes and videos in the Links section of the board too :D:D:D
    Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 AM

I was hoping it was on the eastern side. It'll be a while before I travel that far west.

Amma's right about the tute section here. In fact, she has been very helpful in creating some.
    Old 09-20-2014, 03:30 AM

I used an Instructables tutorial as a basis for my first quilt. Reading through the instructions and the "easy" attitude she had towards quilting made me feel bold enough to try making my own first quilt. I chose to make a "Crazy Quilt" because I wanted to use scraps of fabric that I had been saving from years of sewing. I wound up making three of these as my first three quilts (one for me, one for my daughter, and one for my son). Here is the Instructables link: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Quilting-101/

Below is a picture of my first three quilts.
    Attached Thumbnails first3quilts.jpg  
    Old 09-20-2014, 05:14 AM

There is so much out there it is hard to know where to begin! I just started quilting 1 1/2 years ago and looking back I have really learned a lot but So Much more to learn. Got my best start taking a Quilting 101 class at my LQS-it met for 4 hours once a week for 4 weeks and had a fully completed log cabin quilt when it was done. After that I have just learned from online videos/blogs, this Board and Craftsy classes. If you haven't already seen them, check them out--they are great and go on sale at 50% off frequently. you can watch them on your own schedule and over and over! I also started attending a monthly Modern Quilt Guild meeting locally and been getting some inspiration from those ladies. Glad you have joined us!
    Old 09-20-2014, 05:33 AM

Definitely look for a local quilt guild to join. I belong to 2 and love the inspiration, friendship and encouragement I receive. Although I have been sewing since I was 12 and am now 65 when I started quilting I took a beginning class at a local quilt shop. It was well worth the time and money.
    Old 09-20-2014, 07:10 AM

I'm going to second the suggestion of the library. When I first got interested in quilting, I took out tons of books.
    Old 09-20-2014, 07:50 AM

So much depends on your comfort with sewing in the first place. If you are interested in "quilting" which is the process of linking three layers of fabric together with stitches. I suggest you purchase a small printed panel or a yard of preprinted fabric that looks like a patchwork quilt and practice on it. Either machine or hand quilting which ever you believe you will be doing. It is not a "quilt" until the layers are assembled and stitched. There are pre marked for quilting, kits etc. out there. I have both a queen size and a probably three foot by three foot white on white quilt done. Both are what quilts where until the American settlers started using up their scraps and leftover fabrics out of sheer necessity not to waste the expensive fabrics they had to purchase before fabric was made in America. I often purchase a preprinted, to look like a quilt length of fabric, add a couple of plain borders and quilt the heck out of it. Anyone who is not themselves a "quilter" and even some who are can not tell the difference. Since I can afford to purchase most any fabric I want I don't bother with sewing together a bunch of scraps unless I absolutely have or want to. I make up to 21 Project Linus quilts a month. Most of them are just printed panels or child friendly print fabrics that I layer with batting and a flannel back and machine quilt very simply. I use a decorative stitch and quilt every four inches or so and around the out side about a half an inch in to create a false border. I make those envelope style which means I sew them right sides together and turn them like a pillowcase before I do the machine quilting. It is now a quilt as it was quilted. I have never been interested in cutting up fabric into small pieces just to sew them back together again. When I first started quilting about 40 years ago I did piece blocks and sew them together into a quilt top. I soon learned that I hated having to "quilt" through all of those seams, and I hated getting the piecing to come out perfect enough to allow me to put it together and have it look like something. My object has always been to "get it done" and start using it. I hope you find the method that best fits your needs and is the most enjoyable method for you.
    Old 09-20-2014, 02:28 PM

Hi, Karen....welcome to the board. I started quilting about 2 years ago. I didn't know diddly squat either. I learned from reading this board and watching videos. I did buy some books for beginners, but watching the videos helped me the most. Have fun.....
    Old 09-20-2014, 08:59 PM

Wow, blast from the past. The original post is almost 5 yrs old. I don't think craftybear posts much here anymore.
    Old 09-21-2014, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by gale
    Wow, blast from the past. The original post is almost 5 yrs old. I don't think craftybear posts much here anymore.

....if she does, I wonder how her quilting journey has progressed.......or perhaps she realized this is not for her.....