Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Beginner:  Things I've learned and have yet to learn! >
  • Beginner: Things I've learned and have yet to learn!

• Beginner: Things I've learned and have yet to learn!

Old 09-17-2019, 06:38 PM

Default Beginner: Things I've learned and have yet to learn!

I just completed my first quilting class. The Christmas Sampler Quilt and Disappearing Nine Patch Lap quilt are on their way to my cousin to quilt. I have learned so much during the past few months. I still have so much to learn. Perhaps you can add to the list
    Learned:
    1. Listen to quilters, Read quilters advice, Watch quilters videos. Learn from all!!
    2. From close friends: If I take every stitch out that is not absolutely perfect, I will decide that quilting is not fun. Do the very best I can, look at it carefully and decide what imperfections are OK with me.
    3. Use a spider - that is what we call the little piece of scrap that we begin and end sewing with.
    4. Have fun, laugh when things go wrong, and keep trying.
    5. What I say in anger or disgust in my sewing area stays there!

Yet to learn: (so much to learn but these are the bothersome ones now.)
    1. Stop listening to the quilting police in my head
    2. Stop pointing out my mistakes to others.
    3. Don't be afraid to try a block that looks impossibly hard. (I did think the Dresden plate would be too hard but really liked it...however, I did not like doing the Drunkard's Path - It was too much like setting sleeves and I do not like that.
    Old 09-17-2019, 06:58 PM
    Power Poster

I'm still learning -

and one of the things I "need" to work on - sometimes "good enough" is as good as it's going to get.

Sometimes figuring out "why" something did not work out as well as I had hoped/planned is "enough" of a lesson for that project.
    Old 09-17-2019, 08:20 PM

I don't think we ever stop learning ... no matter what we do (sewing, painting, crocheting, any craft). I do think we improve our skills with the more we do. Even the most proficient quilters make mistakes sometimes. Sometimes a light bulb goes off and we realize "oh that's how it's done". Ha. Just enjoy the process and each quilt you complete and you'll see how much you improve. This is a great place to learn and get advice.
    Old 09-18-2019, 12:13 AM

I’m a new quilter too and I agree with everything you say!

Not so long ago I set myself an ambitious for me project to make a 9 block sampler wall hanging for my son and his wife in Canada. I wanted each block to be different and have something to do with their family. The first block was a maple leaf - I had a terrible job with one of the points. The next was ‘lady of the lake’ - I battled with that to get the HSTs right. When I tried to start on the third block I realised the project had become a chore. I wasn’t enjoying myself so I didn’t do anymore.

Quilting is my hobby, so my motto is ‘If I m not enjoying it - don’t do it!
    Old 09-18-2019, 04:09 AM

Instead of using a "spider", I pre-cut 2 1/2" and 3" scraps and have them by my machine, when I start/stop, I put 2 together, then sew them, and throw them in my drawer, soon you'll have enough to make a scrappy quilt. I've made at least 10 good sized quilts doing this, and have enough to make a couple more.
    Old 09-18-2019, 04:30 AM

If someone has an alternate way to do something, give it a try. There are several ways to accomplish the same task. A new way may work better for you. Or you may prefer the original way you learned. Never know till you try.
    Old 09-18-2019, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    Instead of using a "spider", I pre-cut 2 1/2" and 3" scraps and have them by my machine, when I start/stop, I put 2 together, then sew them, and throw them in my drawer, soon you'll have enough to make a scrappy quilt. I've made at least 10 good sized quilts doing this, and have enough to make a couple more.
    I love this and I'm in the process of cutting up lots of scrappy squares to put this into practice. So much fun.
    Old 09-18-2019, 05:36 AM
    Power Poster

Make your own decisions about fabric selection. Don't rely on others to choose for you. Nothing is more annoying to me in a class when someone wants everyone's opinion about border choices, binding, or sashing choice all the time. Pick one, it's your quilt.
    Old 09-18-2019, 05:47 AM
    Power Poster

For a long time I was against buying specialty rulers but I've found that they really make for a better experience sometimes.
    Old 09-18-2019, 05:48 AM

In quilting and other things in life, ask why and try!

If you can figure out something on your own go ahead and try it, there may be reasons for some of the things we do but there are a lot of things we do just because. I've been quilting some 40+ years and it is so easy to get stuck in a rut but I'm constantly pushing myself to try new things which doesn't necessarily mean more difficult and sometimes the new techniques are better, faster, and easier.

This past year I've tried not ironing my continuously cut French binding in half first due to a thread here. I'm sort of meh about the results, don't have any more or less problems putting on the binding (but I use a slightly wider than normal binding) and I like storing it ironed better. I already know from years of trying that I do prefer to make my bindings on bias and although my hand skills are slow and lacking, I'm happiest with the finish when I blind stitch on the back at the end.

Also I made a top in a way and with fabrics that I never would have used, and it was a fun and happy project that came out fine.

My hardest thing to learn is that at this point I don't have to plan out everything the way I had to when I started, it helps that since I mostly work with scraps I can always cut a few more pieces. Some of us are more over the OCD line in our quilting while other people frolic with improvisational techniques. I was recently gifted a large box of precut squares of various sizes and am making two tops out of them. Thanks to board members here for the ideas I'm using! With one of the sets of squares I didn't even know what size of a block it would finish to before I made one -- that's just wild and crazy stuff coming from me who usually has a graph pad and an Electric Quilt project made before the fabric is cut.