• Main
  • Being Bamboozeled By Bamboo >
  • Being Bamboozeled By Bamboo

• Being Bamboozeled By Bamboo

Old 01-13-2010, 11:55 PM
    k3n
    Power Poster

http://www.warmcompany.com/wnpage.html

They say the batting is chemical free but nothing about how the cotton is grown. :hunf:
    Old 02-05-2010, 11:43 PM

Hope it isn't too late to ask another question here.

I've made a couple of baby quilts with the Bambooo Batting by Fairfield (the makers of poly-fil) but gave them away. Lately I've been making bibs with Warm and White (IIRC), ran out and have tried 3-4 bibs with the bamboo batting and find it has no "spring" to it. The old cotton batts had a more lively feel. Does that make sense?

Some article or other was discussing "drape" and how the lower loft products had "more drape" or draped better. Maybe this bamboo would drape well (1/4") but it feels more like a towel than a batt!

Anyone else think it is strange stuff?

Jois
    Old 02-06-2010, 08:25 AM

i never had that happen. are you quilting too close together and making it stiff?
    Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 AM
    Power Poster

I have been thinking about this "organic" issue again. In the USA they still do not have a regulation that stipulates exactly what "organic" means in the food industry. So organic foods may or may not truly be organic, it is up to us to find out what the actual growers use as well as the processing plants... It can be organically grown and chemically produced or vice/versa... :roll: Until our government gets a firm regulation in place that stipulates what organic means...we are at the mercy of reading the fine print, or doing mega research if this is an issue for us.
    I would have to assume that this is true of our fabrics, clothing, and everything else that is sold with the "organic" label on it.
    "Natural" is another misused label too :roll:
    Old 02-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    i never had that happen. are you quilting too close together and making it stiff?
    Don't I just wish!

I mean compacted - maybe that is the better word. The rest of the bibs felt squishable, the bamboo feel like I put a towel inside. It's probably just the wrong batting for bibs!

Thank you,
    Jois
    Old 02-06-2010, 01:10 PM

i wonder if it would have been better with thicker batting. that would have had some puffiness, maybe.
    Old 02-06-2010, 08:21 PM

Thank you, butterflywing, I guess that has to be it. As soon as we get snow plows through here I'll go hunting for something else.

In Central New Jersey? You might be snowed in, too!

Jois
    Old 02-07-2010, 10:36 AM

close to 6" is all it ended up being. we have a cobblestone driveway, so that was a pain. but a nice neighbor did it with his snowblower.
    Old 03-29-2010, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Originally Posted by k3n
    Originally Posted by butterflywing
    this is a chemical-free bamboo batting. bamboo is also naturally anti-bacterial. i've used it and it's very nice. the cost compares very favorably with warm and natural. the shrinkage is about the same. i've made baby quilts with it and it washes well.

http://reprodepot.com/kbcblr1190.html
    I googled this and it appears to be made in the good ol' US of A. :-D

The link I posted above suggests that bamboo products manufactured in the US are by implication, safe and eco friendly. I googled this product to see if I could find specific details on the manufacturing process (ie if it is mechanical NOT chemical) but no joy - the problem is that the brand name is 'Kyoto' so I learned a lot about the bamboo forests in Kyoto, Japan! :lol:
    Ummm... isn't bamboo a tropical plant? I've never heard of bamboo fields here in the USA. Can it even be grown here? 'Cause, never mind if the batting is manufactured here, it still matters where and how the bamboo itself was grown. ??
    I know it grows well here in Arkansas I've seen diffrent spots where it's growing like wild fire were it is planted.I would really like to get some started here on the front of my property.I love the way it looks.I even like using it for curtain rods instead of all that metail in my house.An I also love to go fishing for cat fish
    an have a couple of bambo poles that we use when we're at a lake instead of the Arkansas river.
    Old 03-29-2010, 12:41 PM

there's a site that someone brought up recently called (i think) manquilter.com or themanquilter.com. it's a website by a guy who does professional quilting with videos that explain how he does certain things. i'm losing focus, here. point being, he says he only uses bamboo. so i'm thinking it must drape pretty well.

http://manquilter.com/ this is him.