Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernia Bobbins >
  • Bernia Bobbins

• Bernia Bobbins

Old 04-15-2014, 03:05 AM

I recently ordered bobbins from nancysnotions.com . You can call for a free catalog at 800 833 0690. I called before I ordered the set to ask about the return policy should the bobbins not work. No worries Satisfaction guaranteed. The bobbins worked like a charm in my Bernina. The Nancy in the link is the Sewing With Nancy you see on TV.

The bobbins are listed under, European Set, then you see the choices of Bernina, Pfaff and Viking. I ordered the Bernina bobbins : 20 bobbin Value Set on sale for $15.76, usually $22.76 last month and free shipping offer.
    Of course you will have to check the current price and shipping as it may have changed.
    Old 04-15-2014, 03:48 AM

I only use Bernina bobbins. Having bought two or three tubes of them over the 15 years I've had a Bernina, I now have plenty. Frankly, after having paid for an expensive machine, I don't understand why I'd want to save less than $5 for off-brand bobbins.
    Old 04-15-2014, 04:01 AM

I have had three Berninas I have had a lot of experience with the bobbins. And yes, the generic bobbins for European machines work fine. However, I don't have many of them because I don't see the need for more than a dozen bobbins and do not have one to match every color or weight of thread-I would never be able to keep them sorted. I did have a Bernina technician who services my machines tell me not to use the bobbin Genies that are widely sold to people who FMQ. Even that small bit of teflon in the bobbin case can cause wear. So I promptly took it our and have not used one since. I do spend money to keep my machines maintained by a certified technician-it pays off.
    Old 04-15-2014, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth
    My sentiments exactly. Why possible create problems in an expensive machine?
    I have a Bernina 820 & it uses a front loading supersized bobbin which I don't think is made by anyone other than Bernina. Even if I did find some, why risk future problems with an expensive machine. You could end up with the old adage of "you can pay me now or pay me later" .
    Old 04-15-2014, 04:32 AM

I took a class with Sharon Schaumber and she told us we could use a specific metal bobbin in our Viking machines, she explained how the metal worked better etc. I ordered a box of fifty, and they are great! My bobbin winder doesn't fit them, but the sidewinder does. I always use a bobbin genie, too. (her husband created them)
    I'm not sure if this is the case with Berninas, or the same technical reason, but it could be.
    Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 AM

I use only Bernina bobbins and Bernina needles in my machines. It is all part of taking care of your machine so it does not come back as a repair later on. I empty out my bobbins when making a scrappy quilt or use the bobbin thread for hand stitching so I don't need to have so many bobbins.
    Old 04-15-2014, 04:37 AM

I have the "new" 830 and. I only use Bernina bobbins and feet. I don't want to jeopardize my expensive machine for a few $$ saved. I've had my Bernina for 4+ years and have never had any mechanical problems with it. I have had 'User caused' problems, which have always been solved by a simple phone call to my great Bernina technician.
    Old 04-15-2014, 05:35 AM

I use the same bobbins I have always used and even per wound in my Bernina without any problem. Mine is an older model.
    Old 04-15-2014, 06:06 AM
    Power Poster

I only use Bernina...I have bought them on ebay pretty cheap...
    Old 04-15-2014, 06:50 AM

I am a retired Home Economics teacher and for a few years before I retired my classroom had Bernina sewing machines. Kids kept losing the original bobbins, so I replaced them with another brand of bobbins that were the same size. The cheap bobbins worked fine. However, when we had the machines serviced, the Bernina dealer noticed the difference in bobbins and found damage to the machines. The repairs were expensive!! My recommendation from experience is use only Bernina bobbins.