Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina 57 or 37 Foot? >
  • Bernina 57 or 37 Foot?

• Bernina 57 or 37 Foot?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:31 AM

Best is to try both, plus a few zig-zag feet like the 1, 34, 20, etc with the needle moved to the right, to determine what works best for you. One thing to think about is that the 37 can be used to stitch 1/4" in the middle of the work, like 1/4" from a seam, but that doesn't work well with the 57. I do prefer the 57 for straightforward piecing, but the 37 is great for that also, so if you are going to get only one, the 37 might be more versatile. I rarely feel like I need the ss plate on my 5.5mm stitch width Berninas. The prices you quoted are a bit less than around here. I've not tried generic feet, so no insight on that. Happy piecing!
    Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 AM

i use the #57 ..worth the upgrade i think
    Old 09-09-2011, 11:17 AM
    Power Poster

Single hole stitch plate and zig zag stitch? If it is the stitch plate I'm thinking of, it is just for straight stitching only? "the 640E has a 9mm zig zag stich but if I use a single hole throat plate..."? I don't have the #57 but I love my #37. It gives me a very accurate 1/4 inch seam.
    Old 09-09-2011, 12:23 PM

Oh no! I did not mean use the ss plate and a zig zag at the same time. I was simply making reference to the fact that the 640 has the ability to sew a 9mm width stitch. Otherwise, OMG serious jamming and smashed needle. Bernina has reminders on the touch screen display about this.
    Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 PM

I love the #57, go for it you won't regret it.
    Old 09-09-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chartreuse
    This message is to all Bernina owners with machines that use new style feet

I am in need of the Patchwork/Quilt Foot and have to decide between the plain and less expensive Number 37 and the fancier more expensive Number 57 that has a guide. So among those who have one or both of these Feet, I would love to know what you think:

How essential is it to you having a No. 37 and or No. 57?
    Is the Number 57 worth the extra price?
    Price: My Bernina store is charging $37.98 for No. 37 and $49.99 for No. 57. Is this the going price?
    Generics on eBay and elsewhere: Anyone here purchased the generic 37 or 57 feet that are being sold all over the internet?
    I have both feet. I like the 57 when doing chain piecing. I also like the screw on guide attachment. The 37 came with my machine, but I don't use it as much.
    Old 09-09-2011, 03:52 PM

I use the 57 for power sewing long strips at high speed, that I then cut into the pattern pieces needed.
    I use the 37 for when I have pinned the points on a sewn pattern strip of pieces, and want the points to match those that I am sewing them to. The lack of a guide is helpful for me, in that circumstance. The presence of a guide on the 57 is a help in the other usage. I would say get both of them. If money is a problem and you don't do any power sewing get the 37. My 2cents.
    John
    Old 09-09-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
    I use the 57 for power sewing long strips at high speed, that I then cut into the pattern pieces needed.
    I use the 37 for when I have pinned the points on a sewn pattern strip of pieces, and want the points to match those that I am sewing them to. The lack of a guide is helpful for me, in that circumstance. The presence of a guide on the 57 is a help in the other usage. I would say get both of them. If money is a problem and you don't do any power sewing get the 37. My 2cents.
    John
    I can see why I would need both based on your description. For example the 57 would be ideal for sewing the 2.5" precut strips and chain piecing Log Cabin blocks. The 37 will work for smaller detailed work. So My birthday is 9/12. That would be a nice gift for me, right?
    Alice
    Old 09-09-2011, 04:51 PM

I have both and I prefer the #37.
    Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 PM
    Kas

Well, sometimes I use a bunch of pins if I have to ease something. The #57 doesn't let you get right up to the pins because the guide goes up over them. When I am easing I need to be right at the pin before removing it. I wish I had saved my money, but too late now. I never use it.