Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina 57 or 37 Foot? >
  • Bernina 57 or 37 Foot?

• Bernina 57 or 37 Foot?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:02 AM

37, its the one I like the best. I agree, I don't like the slideing under the guide thing the 57 does. As for generic, I don't go there for Bernina, there feet are so good I go the extra money and get the best.
    Old 09-10-2011, 08:35 AM

From Alabama to Alaska, Bernina loyalists we are!
    Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 AM

Recently purchased a #57--Love it! Everything lines up beautifully. Well worth the money. Seam ripper now used for other things--hahah!
    Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 AM
    Dkm

Bernina has a coupon sale this next week 25% off. Received one from my dealer this past Thursday.
    Old 09-10-2011, 09:12 AM
    KLO

Here's my 2 cents worth on this subject: I have a Bernina 153 QE. Had a lot of trouble both getting that scant 1/4" seam and keeping the seams straight. I used the #37 for a couple of years and did a lot of ripping. So, I switched to a #1 and move my needle over one click to the right still using the single hole plate and now all is well. I believe that what happened for me was that with the #37, the foot did not cover the feed dogs completely so my fabrics were not being pulled through the machine evenly. I believe that's what made my seams wonky sometimes (although I suppose it could have just me that was the problem!!!). As a few others have suggested, it might be good to try out the different feet recommended if you can so as to determine what works best for you personally.
    Old 09-10-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by KLO
    Here's my 2 cents worth on this subject: I have a Bernina 153 QE. Had a lot of trouble both getting that scant 1/4" seam and keeping the seams straight. I used the #37 for a couple of years and did a lot of ripping. So, I switched to a #1 and move my needle over one click to the right still using the single hole plate and now all is well. I believe that what happened for me was that with the #37, the foot did not cover the feed dogs completely so my fabrics were not being pulled through the machine evenly. I believe that's what made my seams wonky sometimes (although I suppose it could have just me that was the problem!!!). As a few others have suggested, it might be good to try out the different feet recommended if you can so as to determine what works best for you personally.
    Nope, not just you. I also have a 153 QE and that's exactly why I now use the #20 foot with a right needle click. It's also much easier to see the fabric edge against the plate than against the feed dog pit! :lol:
    Old 09-10-2011, 09:56 AM

What for that price they must be made out of gold.
    Old 09-10-2011, 10:13 AM
    CMK

Can't find it at the moment but received a flyer this past week with coupon for either 20 or 25% off Bernina accessories from a Bernina dealer. Would not use a generic, only Bernina, love both feet.
    Old 09-10-2011, 11:53 AM

I have a Bernina 1090 and have used the #37 foot with some success, but when I learned of one of Harriet Hargrave's suggestions in her "Quilter's Academy Volume One" book, I took notice. This is a wonderful idea to achieve a perfect 1/4", scant 1/4" or whatever size you want seam that falls within the parameter of the quilting guide that's attached to this foot.

This will all make sense when you take a look at this blogger's story and wonderful pics on this idea. I LOVE it! Try it, you might love it! :thumbup:

http://jackiecastson.blogspot.com/20...thing-new.html
    Old 09-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chartreuse
    Originally Posted by ponyriver
    Please check with a reputable Bernina dealer about using the #57 with a 9mm stitch width machine. I worked for a Bernina dealer when the 630-640's first came out & at that time Bernina recommended NOT TO USE the #57 foot as the guide blade could cause excessive wear to the teeth on the feed dogs. This may have changed by now, but it is definitely worth checking on.
    Meant to address the reply to your post. Good point!
    FYI, I have the #57D, which is specifically made for the new 830 (and 820?), so some variation of the #57 can be used with 9mm machines.