Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina 802 >
  • Bernina 802

• Bernina 802

Old 11-26-2011, 12:31 PM

Default Bernina 802

Does anyone own a machine like this or does anyone know what age it is. I have been offered one but never had this make and was wondering if it is worth thinking about. It comes with a host of attachments but no manual so don't know if I should pass. They are asking £250. Many thanks.
    Old 11-26-2011, 12:51 PM

I just did a quick search on it and from the picture it looks like a mechanical machine. I don't know what 250 pounds is in US Dollars, but that seems pretty high to me. I think the machine is more than 25 years old. I would just make sure it works before you buy it, you don't want to have to have it repaired after you buy it. By attachments, I guess you mean presser feet. Getting presser feet is a plus for this machine. If you do a search for the brand and model number you will find some websites that sell owner's manuals for this model.
    Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 AM

Berninas hold their value more than any other machine on the market, so the older machines tend to fetch quite a bit. That being said, the 802 isn't up there with the more valuable, mechanical machines like the 830 etc. It's a great, well built machine and depending on what's available to you in Ireland it would probably be a machine you'd like to have. The price is something that also would depend on the going rate in your area. I would probably offer less, but if it's got a bunch of feet and attachments you won't go wrong with a mechanical Bernina.
    Old 11-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Thank you for info. I asked the person if I could borrow the machine to try it. Boy does it just purr like a kitten. I definately will have to buy it. I know it is not a young machine but for all the feet that comes with it at todays price they would be in excess of £160 . I have tried it for free quilting and it sews like a dream and is a very clean machine. I have two Pfaff machines and never ever thought I would want to sew on anything else but just goes to show never say never. I wish I could post a photo of it but since the new board I can hardly find photos never mind post one.
    Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 AM

Bernina's feet are world renowned...which is not to say that I didn't buy an adapter foot for mine and use a couple of clamp on feet with it just because the feet are so darned expensive! I was lucky and bought my 153 used and it came with a darning foot and at least a couple of extra, plus the dual foot walking foot, I think that foot alone is $80 US.

Enjoy your new machine!
    Old 11-27-2011, 04:35 PM

I love both my Bernina machines. Both are 30 plus years old and I have never had a problem with either of them. Enjoy yours.
    Old 11-27-2011, 04:57 PM

Sounds like a winner to me! From all I've read, I don't think you can go wrong. Enjoy your new machine!