Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina 820? >
  • Bernina 820?

• Bernina 820?

Old 12-15-2010, 04:20 PM

Get the machine of your dreams. It was meant to be. You can then keep the other as a back-up or sell, doesn't matter. The neat thing is, you will always think of your long lost aunt every time you use it. What could be better?!
    Old 12-15-2010, 04:31 PM

I'm with the others here, buy the new machine and keep the one you have. There is nothing worse than being in the middle of something and having problems with a machine. You always need a back up machine. Besides this was a gift to you from your aunt and should be used for what you want, not going for household stuff.
    Old 12-15-2010, 04:41 PM

I have the 830 an just love it i, without doubt it is the best machine I have ever had .....if you can afford it go te extra and get the 830 , I quilt a lot but having the possibility to embroider is great and I am use it more and more in my quilts . Cathy
    Old 12-15-2010, 04:51 PM
    tmg

Buy the Bernina and keep the other for backup.
    Old 12-15-2010, 04:53 PM

It is hard to justify getting a new machine when you already have a new machine. It sounds like you may have issues with the fact that you would have two new machines. I would buy what I want and with the other machine, sell it on ebay. I would also get a little something for my husband and said that Aunt ---thought of him too. This way you will feel good getting the new machine while selling the old machine, buying your husband a nice little gift. In two or three years, you will want a new one and then, ask your husband to buy you a new one at that time. You have to prepare for today because tomorrow will come soon enough and you will be happy traveling with both new machines that your aunt and your husband bought.
    Old 12-15-2010, 04:57 PM

Hi So-Sew
    I have a Bernia 430 which is only a year old and just got some money from a law suit and will be replacing mine w/ the 820 for the same reason . My grandaughter is into sewing and has a very old machine that hardly works so I'm going to give her my 430 for her birthday next month along with all the equipment and books. I know that it's not brand new but she will be over the moon with it cause she makes her own clothes and wants to learn to quilt just like her grandma.
    Good luck on your choice.
    May Trucker
    Old 12-15-2010, 05:24 PM

The longer you wait to buy your "memorial" machine the more time you are giving your husband to figure out a way to spend it on something more "noble a cause". Follow your gut feeling.
    Old 12-15-2010, 05:25 PM

May, what a wonderful gift. Your grandaughter is blessed to have you supporting her creative endeavors. I'm the first in my family to love quilting, but my grandmother crocheted up a storm! My mom avoids anything involving fine motor skills like her life depends on it, so I'm thinking I get my sewing skills from my sweet (and sadly missed) grandmother. I'll bet you can't wait to see your grandgirl's surprise and excitement when you gift her your beautiful Bernie.
    Old 12-15-2010, 05:53 PM

Johans, I see you're from my general location and the Bernina dealer I've been speaking with is located between us. Do you have any experience with the Bernina shop in DePere? I've talked with a dealer who is closer to me, but that Bernina store is located within Hancock Fabrics. The DePere location has a serviceman "in house" and the family owned company seems determined to please it's customers. Have you done business with them or know anyone who has?
    Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 PM

I would say buy the 820. You will think about that long lost Aunt everytime you sit down to sew. I have the 830 and I love it. I had problems at first but Bernina took care of all of the problems with no charge, so they do stand behind their product. Does your Janome do embroidery? If it doesn't, then think about getting the 830. I love the embroidery and the jumbo hoop which is possible because of the large arm space. I purchased a smaller Bernina that I use for general sewing and taking to classes. I like have two machines that uses the same kind of feet so I can share the accessories back and forth. I know the 820/830 is a lot of money, but they are really more like a professional machine. Good luck in making your decision. This was money you received that you were not expecting, if you don't need it to get you out of a financial bind, then get your new machine. Just my thoughts. Merry Christmas!