Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina 820 -- Need help! >
  • Bernina 820 -- Need help!

• Bernina 820 -- Need help!

Old 08-21-2019, 06:55 AM

Default Bernina 820 -- Need help!

About a year ago now my friend gave me her modern Bernina 820 "Sewing Computer". She had issues with it and is happier with the 770 she replaced it with. But so far, Bernie and I have been sewing together and doing well.

I'm trying to use this machine to its capabilities and some of my projects have been based on trying new things with the machine. Yesterday I wanted to practice with the Serpentine Stitch, or Bernina Stitch 4. All I should have to do to select it is tap on the screen and then adjust the width and length as I want it. I've read the manual, I've watched the official videos, I've watched other videos. When I select the zigzag or 4 options, my screen does not change and I cannot change the width of the stitch, I can spin the dial all I want. Length changes just fine, but all I get is a straight line.

I have on the proper plate. I have the proper feet and tried some alternates. I cannot get it to zigzag to save my life. I'm thinking it is a foot sensor and it is preventing me from changing the width so I don't break a needle.

I've tried turning it on and off. Tried changing the feet with power on and off. Reset and cleared out any user preferences. I've gone into the embroidery stitches and for some of them the dial will adjust the width -- except that it doesn't sew that way. It will go back and forth but not side to side.

Any suggestions other than shop time? Ugh that's the downside of these computerized machines. I think the serpentine stitch would be the perfect finish to this top. I can probably do that with my cheap Brother (haven't tried -- but that's next on today's to do list). I have another project to quilt down that I was going to do first, that will be using the BSR and that has so far worked just fine. I have my trusty old vintage machine for my piecing projects if Bernie needs to go to the shop.
    Old 08-21-2019, 07:23 AM
    Power Poster

While you said you changed the foot and plate ...
    ... did you tell the machine you have??
    Old 08-21-2019, 07:38 AM

I did tell it the foot... is there a place to tell it the plate? I'll go look!

That's the problem with a machine smarter than I am.
    Old 08-21-2019, 08:05 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    I did tell it the foot... is there a place to tell it the plate? I'll go look!

That's the problem with a machine smarter than I am.
    Bingo! ... yes, the machine is saying, no way I can do zig-zag as you have the single hole plate in!
    Nice feature though ... stops you from using a zig-zag when that single hole plate is in place
    and then crunching a needle, or worse, messing up the machine's operation.

Look across the bottom of your screen display for the triangle ... tap on it and change.

Do you have your manual? Check out Pages 33 and 35.
    Here's a link ......

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/72...page=35#manual

You might want to check with your Bernina dealer about lessons.
    At my dealer, they are free, as many times as you want while you own the machine.
    However, be aware, there may be a charge as you did not purchase your machine from them.

Be patient with yourself. Yes, these machines can be complicated and confusing.
    However, there's a lot of good things amidst it all.
    Old 08-21-2019, 08:29 AM

Woot! Between you leading me and my friend walking me through it I found the proper little button.

Thank you so much! On my way to learn new stuff
    Old 08-21-2019, 10:02 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    Woot! Between you leading me and my friend walking me through it I found the proper little button.

Thank you so much! On my way to learn new stuff
    You're Welcome! ... Thanks for the thanks .... and Good Luck on your 820 journey.
    Old 08-22-2019, 03:49 AM
    Power Poster

I just bought the 770 and have found a lot of good youtube videos about it, also the Bernina website.
    Old 08-22-2019, 05:24 AM

My friend replaced the 820 with a 770 and is very happy, she used the 820 for several years and never clicked with it and also had issues with fancy threads. She does some fancy things and bags and such, whereas I just quilt.

Sometimes its hard for me to push myself to do things differently. A serpentine stitch for quilting is hardly wild and experimental but it will be the first time for me. I had the option to use this modern machine just like I did my vintage machine or to use the features and so I've been planning and working on projects just to get practice on some of these things.

But in the good news, Bernie and I are once again playing nicely together! Thanks all for the help and support.
    Old 08-22-2019, 05:43 AM

Glad you worked it out! I have the 820. It’s definitely a “sewing computer”. I love my machine. I was tempted to upgrade to the 770, but this one is still great.
    Old 08-23-2019, 07:05 AM

Good to hear you got things working, I have the Bernina 830.
    Can we be stitching buddies???
    My latest adventure was trying to move the needle over a click with the patchwork foot #37d. The Bernina dutifully clicked and clucked and the needle jumped like it was moving but in the end the needle stayed right where it was. I often do this with the #37c foot on my Bernina 430 and it works fine, but I just had to laugh when I realized the 830 had outsmarted me. Even the needle position on the touch screen showed the needle over one click to the right.