Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina 830 with Bernina Quilt Frame >
  • Bernina 830 with Bernina Quilt Frame

• Bernina 830 with Bernina Quilt Frame

Old 06-28-2021, 12:47 PM

I had a Bernia 830 computerized as well. Wow! What a headache. I bought it new, had to take it back to be repaired 4 times in the first year. The dealer didn't know what to do anymore, so he sent it to Chicago...Not once but twice in 2 years. I would not touch that machine with a 10 foot pole. Dealer took it back on trade for a 770.
    Old 07-06-2021, 10:40 AM

Thanks to everyone for your responses! First I have a Bernina 8 series 830 machine with the Bernina (made by Grace) 10-foot quilt frame. I as well have an 830 record but that would not work as DSM quilting machine. I have been able to mostly figure out my issue with threading my machine after watching many threading videos of the 8 series machines. They are VERY persnickety about threading. I think I was not keeping enough tension on the thread for the whole threading of the upper machine, and it was not going through the now hidden take up arm correctly. It is quite difficult to thread while sitting on the carriage for quilting with a frame bar going through it to boot!

I am now about half way through my quilt and have only had to rip out a couple of small areas that I messed up on. It has been going fairly well for my first ever quilting adventure, wait knock on wood! I totally agree with sewingpup, a DSM with all the fancy stitches isn’t perfect or even preferred for a long-arm machine. I have been interested in the quilting part (not so much the piecing part) of quilt making but really wanted a cheap entry into it and suddenly found myself looking at options for a new to me DSM. I found a really sweet deal on the whole set up; machine, embroidery module, and quilt frame.
    I will certainly outgrow the notion of using the 830 as a long-arm type machine but it allows me the opportunity to see if I might enjoy it enough to actually consider a long arm. Thanks again for all the info!
    Old 07-07-2021, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    ​Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I do not have this set up but I would check the warranty and see if a local Bernina dealer will honour it.

Bernina warranties are great ( 20 years for parts ) , but they are only for the machine’s original purchaser.
    Old 07-07-2021, 04:46 PM
    mkc

Originally Posted by UFOs Galore
    Bernina warranties are great ( 20 years for parts ) , but they are only for the machine’s original purchaser.
    That's also the case for virtually every sewing machine brand. Warranty is for original owner only. Anyone purchasing a used machine does not get the remainder of a manufacturer's warranty. Very different than the automobile industry.