Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina 830 with over 8 million stitches stitched >
  • Bernina 830 with over 8 million stitches stitched

• Bernina 830 with over 8 million stitches stitched

Old 06-29-2017, 04:09 PM

Buying from a dealer has its advantages. Do you get any warantee?
    Old 06-29-2017, 06:08 PM

Did you plan to do embroidery? Does your dealer have a certified Bernina technician who can do the routine maintenance, repairs, and computer updates? I have a Bernina 830 and I did have problems with tension and thread breakage, which I have previously written about here. Finally, it was all fixed and I LOVE IT. I particularly love the hover mode, start and stop button, the big bobbin, large harp for FMQ, and the knee lift. I also love how easy it is to get the presser foot cover off (no screws) to clean the whole area, which is something I do with every bobbin change and heartily recommend. I have learned to play with the tension- no longer afraid of doing that. I do not use the embroidery module as much as I thought I would. Only so much time. As far as the price, it sounds good to me although I would ask for a warranty and lessons, as others have suggested. There are also loads and loads of YouTube videos. Does it come with a lot of presser feet?
    Old 06-29-2017, 06:52 PM

My dealer just sold an 830 with just over 2 million stitches for $2,000. The price you are being quoted is high. Mine has just over 7 million stitches.
    Old 06-30-2017, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    My dealer just sold an 830 with just over 2 million stitches for $2,000. The price you are being quoted is high. Mine has just over 7 million stitches.
    I think it may have something to do with the different areas that you live in. AZ vs. SD. Bigger market in AZ and prices are usually higher in a large urban area. JMHO
    Old 06-30-2017, 07:09 AM

I wouldn't pay that much! For that much or maybe pitching in a little more, you should be able to get a pretty good new machine! Do you absolutely have to have a Bernina? I think I'd look at a Babylock or Brother. I picked up a brand new Babylock Journey for $6000 just last year. It's an awesome machine! Does everything but make my bed! Look around and don't be afraid to try and talk the price down The list price on my Journey was $9000, so there is a huge markup.
    Old 06-30-2017, 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=Maureen NJ;7854273]Did you plan to do embroidery? Yes Does your dealer have a certified Bernina technician who can do the routine maintenance, repairs, and computer updates? Yes, very good one. I have a Bernina 830 and I did have problems with tension and thread breakage, which I have previously written about here. Finally, it was all fixed and I LOVE IT. I particularly love the hover mode, start and stop button, the big bobbin, large harp for FMQ, and the knee lift. I also love how easy it is to get the presser foot cover off (no screws) to clean the whole area, which is something I do with every bobbin change and heartily recommend. I have learned to play with the tension- no longer afraid of doing that. I do not use the embroidery module as much as I thought I would. Only so much time. As far as the price, it sounds good to me although I would ask for a warranty and lessons, as others have suggested. There is a 1 year parts & labor warranty and 2 sewing lessons plus 2 embroidery lessons. There are also loads and loads of YouTube videos. Does it come with a lot of presser feet? I don't know. Will have to find out. But I have an old 180 with 9 mm wide stitches and I'm told those pressure feet will fit the 830. And I have 18 feet! /QUOTE]

It comes with everything it originally had. Embroidery modual with small, medium and large hoop, stitch regulator etc.
    Old 06-30-2017, 09:42 AM

It sounds like you are getting a lot of extras with it as well as a warranty. I'd be tempted.

Have you looked at any other dealerships to compare prices on used machines to see if that is in line for your area?
    Old 06-30-2017, 09:43 AM

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate you and this board! Still thinking!
    Old 06-30-2017, 09:51 AM

The only other Bernina dealer in the area is 45 minutes away versus 15 minutes for this dealer. There is a dealer for Janome, Brother, etc. but I want to use the investment I have in Bernina Embroidery Software, extra feet and embroidery patterns.
    Old 06-30-2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    How old is yours? Is it still embroidering well with that many stitches?